New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Problems Windows Xp and bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geves

geves is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz MacBook Pro

Hey everyone,
I recently tried to install windows xp on my macbook pro. I used bootcamp to create a 32GB NTFS partition for it. When I tried to install windows the partition manager in the installation process showed me only one partition, 131GB in size (while on my Mac OS X I had about 115GB free). I tried to format it, but when the computer restarted, the format and installation process started all over again...
I tried to put my Mac OS X installation cd but it only recognizes the windows 131 partition...
I'm pretty sure that my windows installation cd has sp2 (I already installed windows once, but I wanted to create a larger partition).
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can you still boot into OS X?

Sounds to me like you formatted your OS X partition and will need to start from scratch and reinstall OS X.
If you created a 32GB partition to install windows, why did you choose the 131GB partition to start the install?
That was your first indication of something not right.

You're "pretty sure" the disk has SP2? A genuine MS disk should be labled right on the face of the disk.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geves View Post
Hey everyone,
I recently tried to install windows xp on my macbook pro. I used bootcamp to create a 32GB NTFS partition for it. When I tried to install windows the partition manager in the installation process showed me only one partition, 131GB in size (while on my Mac OS X I had about 115GB free). I tried to format it, but when the computer restarted, the format and installation process started all over again...
I tried to put my Mac OS X installation cd but it only recognizes the windows 131 partition...
I'm pretty sure that my windows installation cd has sp2 (I already installed windows once, but I wanted to create a larger partition).
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Give each of these a read...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ers-guide.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ours-time.html

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
geves

geves is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz MacBook Pro

I formatted the 131GB partition by mistake, because I thought it was actually a 31GB partition.

About the winXP: I legally downloaded it from msdn academic alliance software center and burned it onto a cd. I checked my file once again and apparently it is sp1 and not sp2.
I tried to reinstall mac OS X but it doesn't recognize any hard drive, although when it asks about where to reboot to, the 131GB partition suddenly appears with bootcamp logo.
I'll try to use a WinXP with sp2 cd in the format process, and see if it works.
Do you have any other solution for it?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're going to need to start over by reinstalling OS X first. As for your download of XP from the academic MSDN alliance software center, sometimes these copies (although perfectly legal) do not work. They appear as a VL copy because of the product code used. You're also going to need to slipstream SP2 to it. Slipstream software is needed. I recommend "Autostreamer" which is free and easy to use.

You will need to do the slipstreaming on a Windows machine as Autostreamer is a Windows program.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SNkevinOW

SNkevinOW is on a distinguished road

I have kinda the same problem. I also only see a 131 GB partition and i made a 32 GB partition for windows xp using bootcamp. My bootcamp partition is FAT-32 how can i install windows xp on this partition. Luckely i read the manual and it said not to install it on the 131 GB partition so i did not.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can not see a partition named "Boot Camp" when you run the Windows XP installer? If not, if may not have been created.

Try creating it again. Go back to OS X, use the Boot Camp assistant again. Select "create partition", then select "restore". That will get everything back to OS X. Reboot. Run Boot Camp assistant once more but this time try creating the partition slightly smaller than 32 GB, say around 30 GB.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SNkevinOW

SNkevinOW is on a distinguished road

I found the problem. I tried to use Windows XP version 2002 SP 1 and i need SP 2.

Macbook 13 inch Mac OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office 2008 | Warcraft III TFT on crossover »