New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Accessing shared volume on school computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lokerd

Hello all. I am a returning Mac teacher. I teach photography and desktop publishing in one of the only two Mac labs in the entire district.

The school system has a shared volume on the server, drives L and M. The M drive is a drive that everybody in the school can access, where as the L drive is just for me (assuming I could get to it) with a directory on the L drive that is also for me to share and/or post my own website.

I need for my students to be able to copy their digital images on to either of these shared resources so that the Yearbook and Newspaper staff can pull the images that they want.

My Mac lab is hooked up to a hub that is hooked up in a hub closet, etc., so I am directly hooked up...not through a router or anything. The Macs access the internet fine. In fact, I can pull up the webspace on the Macs, but they can not put any files there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Drew
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Hmm.. is it FTP? if it is, you could just need a FTP client, to upload files and such. Or, its more website driven and something like Adobe GoLive (which is what I use and expensive compared to free alternatives) where you can upload files to the websites specific folders.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

This maybe of some help:

How to Connect to Windows File Sharing
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Thanks for the quick feedback. Is there anyway to do it from OS9? I have ordered OS10 for 15 of my computer and currently have the 5 eMacs set to boot in OS9 (that do have OS10 already). I am not sure how soon I will be able to get everything switched over to OS10. So if there is a way to do it from OS 9, it would be helpful. I have sent an email to the sysop about using FTP access.

Thanks!
Drew
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here is link for Mac OS 8 an 9:

Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9: File Sharing
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Well, I have made progress as far as accessing PC shared volumes via OS 10. But I have been totally unsuccessful with the OS 9 computers...which is where I am normally booted into.

But the real bugger boo is that I can not gain access to the L and M drives.

The way the network is set up, when a PC user logs into their computers, they server recongnizes their login and displays a L drive that is a shared resource with the entire campus, and then an M drive that is our personal space on the server.

When I try to log in with the Mac, I do see all of the drive that are represented by the other computers, but I can not get the L and M drive to show up. I was able to get to apoint where I could authenticate me as a user, but then the popup list was a list of the entire student body and facult with their user ids, which I was NOT listed. I have not been able to determine why I am not listed.

So, is there anyway to directly access the L and M drives and get the server to allow me to authenticate then?

Thanks!
Drew
QUOTE Thanks
Redmands

their login is probably running a login script defined by your system admin. if you talk to them you should be able to get the share name... im assuming the L drive is the network drive on the computer and not the actual share name. ask the system admin for the L and M share names then try and authenticate to them directly using the way you authenticated before.
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmands
ask the system admin for the L and M share names then try and authenticate to them directly using the way you authenticated before.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I did finally get the OS 10 computers to access the school network...but I have NOT been able to get the OS9 to gain access...which is what I really need for the students to be able to do. I have reviewed the suggestions here to review the Apple Tech Article, but it didn't make much sense. Do you know if it is possible?

Thanks!
Drew
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My new iBook + a question I need answered! | URGENT: Need image browser recommendation for high school lab?!?!? »