New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Other - Mac os9 flashing question mark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

linzibop

linzibop is on a distinguished road

Hello! My first post here on the forums my apologies for jumping straight in with a question!

I've been having to swap between mac osx 10 and 0s9 and a powerbook g4 for a quark to indesign conversion project. I have been doing this via the system preferences - start up disc method.

All was going well.

When i came in this morning to switch the mac on, it's obviously trying to start in os9, which is the last system we left it on, on shut down last night.

However, it's not starting up, it's just flashing a question mark and smiley face icon. I understand this is because it can't find the os, and we just need to "remind" it of where it is - but we can't find the disc, and i don't know if there is a way of getting it to boot up in either osx10 or os9 without it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

first option - restart holding down the option key - let us know what you get

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
linzibop

Hi Bobtomay - i did that, i get nothing, it remains the same, flashing face and question mark

Anything else? I really wish my colleague hadn't misplaced the os x disc, i get the feeling that would have made things a tad easier?!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yep that install disk is critical. You need to boot from the disc and run Repair Disc.
QUOTE Thanks
linzibop

I've sent him off on a mission to find that disc then! Wish him luck!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Hope he has not sold it? No supper until he arrives with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NFS problem with WinXP | Windows Security »