New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - boot camp won't install xp home edition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whyyzz

whyyzz is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I have a 2006 Mac Book Pro running Leopard and I recently tried to install Windows XP Home SP2 through Boot Camp. At first I set the partition at the minimum of 5GB and Windows would not install. I then upped the partition to 10GB, and it will still not install. Windows goes through the whole setup, and then when it says "windows is starting up" it chugs away for about 30 seconds and comes up with the dreaded Windows blue screen that says "initialization failed." I tried installing my friend's version of XP pro, and that seemed to install fine, but I can't use that version because my S/N is for Home Edition. I also tried another Home disc with similar blue screen results.
Any ideas? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like an incompatible version of XP Home SP2 is being used. The only versions that will work right are:

1. MS Full install boxed version of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3.

2. OEM system builders full install of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3.

Recovery versions, restore versions, OEM branded versions (Dell, Sony, Toshiba, HP, etc.), and corporate versions will not work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
whyyzz

I bought a new retail version of XP Home SP2, and it will still not work
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyyzz View Post
I bought a new retail version of XP Home SP2, and it will still not work
Is it a full install version or upgrade? Upgrade copies will not work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
whyyzz

it is a full version, not an upgrade. i managed to install the disc through parallels alone, by creating a new disc image for the install cd and changing it to an .iso rather than .dmg. So, i know the disc can work, i would just like to figure out a way to do the same thing to install it on bootcamp because i'll be running some pretty heavy applications and I would like to have native windows to run them.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Sounds like you need to get your laptop checked, it shouldn't do that even if it's a fake Windows CD.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I find it strange that you could install your friend's copy of XP Pro but not a legal full install copy of Windows XP Home SP2?

As Tarek has replied (not withstanding his remarks about a fake copy) you may have to check your hard drive. Boot your MBP with your original Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility from the top menu "Utilities". Verify, and if necessary repair the hard drive of all errors. (if any)

I can't see any other reason why XP should not install especially since you were able to install it via Parallels. That tells us the CD and version are good.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to access Windows Boot Camp partition after erasing it | installing parallels »