New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.5 - Always boots into Windows XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrian7

adrian7 is on a distinguished road

iMac, Bootcamp installed.
Need to press Option to get the choice to boot in either Mac or in XP Professional.

A stupid choice I made (in hindsight), was to set it to boot automatically in XP - and if I need the Mac, press the Option key to select it. Who would have imagined the problem below ...

You may have guessed the problem: even though I still press the Option key as I have done countless times in the past, the computer now ALWAYS boots in XP. Not sure what happened, but there is no place where I can select to see the Mac. So all I now have is a standalone PC

The Option key itself seems to be functioning: I tried Ctrl-Option-Delete and it does bring up the Windows Task Manager.

Any ideas - thanks a lot!
Adrian
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Hi there!

Boot up into Mac OS X, however possible, then log in. Open up System Preferences, and click on "Startup Disk." Click the little unlock icon in the bottom left hand corner (if there is one) and then select the Mac Hard Drive Icon. Close System Pref. It should be OK now. Restart and try again.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
You may have guessed the problem: even though I still press the Option key as I have done countless times in the past, the computer now ALWAYS boots in XP. Not sure what happened, but there is no place where I can select to see the Mac. So all I now have is a standalone PC

The Option key itself seems to be functioning: I tried Ctrl-Option-Delete and it does bring up the Windows Task Manager.
When in XP, open Control Panel, Boot Camp. From there you can select to startup in OS X rather than XP. If your machine refuses to start in OS X even after that, it might indicate a problem on the OS X side. Post back if that's the case and we can go from there.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refit doesn't see my Windows installation | Pricing for Windows 7 »