New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Windows 7 RC1 32-bit won't install via boot camp.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_class

mac_class is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

I'm in a desperate situation here haha. Essentially, my macbook pro fails to realise that there is a disc in the drive. The drive spools up a couple of times and then ejects the disc. This is after I have burned the ISO file to the disc (through the correct means since I've burned about...7 discs...)

I do not know what to make of it. I had windows 7 Beta on my MBP a couple of months ago. I tried to test it out and see if the ISO disc on that worked, but it turns out it does not. So something has happened between a couple of months ago and now. Possibly an apple update? I'm running 10.5.7.

Also note I've partitioned my drive and clicked 'Start installation' in boot camp whilst the disc is spooling with no such luck. My mac simply does not read the disc, and I do not know why. I cannot boot straight from it either.

I managed to trick my pro once by burning the ISO using 'Burn' app. It worked, the disc wasn't ejected upon finishing of burning and then I clicked 'start installation in boot camp' and it restarted. This is where it gets familiar, the white boot screen came up, the drive spooled and then ejected the disc, then stayed on the white screen until I restarted the computer.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Thanks for any help that you can give
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Well, we can look at Apple's notes, and see that OFFICIALLY, Boot Camp is only MEANT to be able to install Vista and XP. Thats what is says when you first load up Boot Camp Assistant.

However, you can install Windows Vista using Boot Camp, and then install Windows 7 Beta, and hopefully Release Candidate 1.

Also, try an apple Boot Camp update. Go to the apple website, go to:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows Vista 32

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Macintosh View Post
Well, we can look at Apple's notes, and see that OFFICIALLY, Boot Camp is only MEANT to be able to install Vista and XP. Thats what is says when you first load up Boot Camp Assistant.

However, you can install Windows Vista using Boot Camp, and then install Windows 7 Beta, and hopefully Release Candidate 1.

Also, try an apple Boot Camp update. Go to the apple website, go to:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows Vista 32

Regards.
I can tell you from experience, you CAN install Windows 7 Beta or RC from a clean install in Bootcamp, no need to install Vista and then Win7. I have done this 4 times already.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Most likely could be due to a bad burn, maybe try burning it a lower speed and verify it as well.
QUOTE Thanks
joec1101

joec1101 is on a distinguished road

It worked just fine for me. Like the above poster said, you might have a bad burn. Try burning it again at a lower speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It can't be a bad burn if his Windows 7 beta disc, which clearly worked fine seeing as how he managed to install it successfully, is no longer working either.

Have you tried an XP or Vista disc? How about within OS X itself, are the discs being recognized? Let's rule out a hardware problem before trying to find a software culprit.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mac_class

Thanks guys.

The funny thing is my superdrive seems perfectly fine. It recognises blank DVD-Rs. I used both Burn and Disk Utility to burn the ISO files and still nothing. I even tried burning the thing on a windows computer too and THEN putting it in my MBP. Alas nothing, the superdrive/software fails to recognise the disc.

Kash, I did try using a XP OEM disc that for XP and OSX does recognise this disc. It doesn't eject and it shows up on the desktop. The reason I do not just install THIS is because its an OEM and well..it's SP1 and yeah, doesn't work too well.

It MUST be something to do with the software then. I'm running 10.5.7. so does anyone else have trouble with this update or not? It MUST be something to do with the update. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation that includes how my previous ISO for Windows 7 Beta doesn't work now.

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You don't even need the disk. I installed Win 7 in Bootcamp straight from the iso sitting on my desktop.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_class

I'd like to know how you managed that bobtomay. If that is at all possible...
QUOTE Thanks
maryanna

maryanna is on a distinguished road

yes, please I would like to know that too... thank you so much
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Validation code for Windows XP | Incorrect parameter installing Windows XP »