New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux - installing linux on a G3 imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jakeyjake

Jakeyjake is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am some what of a computer noob, i have yellowdog on my PS3 though (that was easy). Anyway, I recently picked up a old g3 imac from my college, it doesnt boot up so i am guessing there is no OS on it. I was think linux would be a good what to go as it is free. I have no idea what linux it can run or how to go about installing it, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

(P.S. I just signed up so sorry if this is the wrong place for this post)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I believe you're referring to a "Power Mac G3" as there is no such machine as an iMac G3.

In any event, I don't believe there is a version of Linux which will run on that machine as it has a Power PC 750 processor. Linux runs on i386 machines.

I'm not 100% certain of that and suggest you go to one of the many Linux forums and ask. A good one would be the very popular Ubuntu Linux Users forum. Here's the Link: Ubuntu Forums

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I believe you're referring to a "Power Mac G3" as there is no such machine as an iMac G3.
Sure there is, I've had 2 of them, tray loading 333 mhz iMacs.
Yellow Dog will run just fine on it, if you can find an older version.
I had version 2.0 running on mine with 512 mb memory.
Check the specs on Yellow Dog to see what the newest version will run.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, thanks for the info.

Mea Culpa. I did find an iMac G3 (Summer of 2001 according to Mactracker) However, I could not find a version of Yellow Dog Linux that would run on the G3:

Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

I think the latest for PPC was Yellowdog 5, and Ubuntu definitely had a version, but the most up to date Linux for PPC is OpenSUSE 11.1 - see their download page Software.openSUSE.org

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks Hugh. Noted and bookmarked.
QUOTE Thanks
Jakeyjake

Jakeyjake is on a distinguished road

thanks people, would the mac boot from a disc? i dont know how to go about an install

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeyjake View Post
thanks people, would the mac boot from a disc? i dont know how to go about an install

thanks
Yup, it will boot (hold the C key down as normal).
I tried an older version of SuSE on an iBook G3 a while ago and installed it to an external disk. It installed fine but that would not boot 'cos I forgot to take into account the iBook won't boot to a USB disk. I didn't have a firewire to spare at the time so stopped experimenting.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« syncing mac book and samsung omnia | Booting Win 98 from an old Hard drive on my Mac »