New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - What's the best course of action here?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joey3

joey3 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I currently have Windows XP installed on my Mac and I plan to remove it. I'm getting ready to upgrade and I'm going to give my current computer to a relative. My question is two parts:

1. If any virus is on XP, once I uninstall the XP partition, can the virus affect my Mac? I'm not sure if I have a virus - should I do a scan to be sure before I remove XP? I don't have virus protection on XP as I rarely use it for the Internet but I realize I could still be infected.

2. If I perform a secure empty trash on my Mac after removing the XP partition, will that delete the hard drive files that were previously on the XP side, too? Or should I wipe the XP Partition separately first?

I hope my questions made some sense. I'm not very technical.

Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

1. No. Viruses are just software programs. If your Windows partition was suffering from a virus, erasing the partition will remove the virus. And any virus you may have can't be run on a Mac because it was written for Windows.

2. Yes and no. You don't have to wipe the XP partition first, but secure empty trash isn't what you want to do. In order to prevent anyone from recovering your old files, you'll have to go into Disk Utility and tell it to erase your free space. You can also do a "secure format" of the XP partition before reintegrating it if you want. Either one works.
QUOTE Thanks
joey3

joey3 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your response - it was very helpfu! I was afraid this may be a lengthy process, but by following your advice I think it will pretty painless.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless mouse freezes on xp pro | mac software for windows »