New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook Pro - OSX and Windows XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

todograd

todograd is on a distinguished road

I have a new macbook pro that I'm trying to install Windows XP on. I have installed Leopard and then ran Bootcamp to repartition the Hard Drive. When it reboots, starts to install windows. Whether I choose NTFS or FAT 32, I keep on getting an error message. When I choose FAT32, I get 'Disk Error Press any key to restart' and when I choose NTFS, I get 'windows could not start because the following file is missing.' this is good CD because I used the CD to install XP on a PC. This is also XP SP2. I am trying to install windows first, then install Leopard. Is this possible?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Let's start from the beginning here.....

What I'm not sure I understand is that you say you have a new MacBook Pro. Didn't it come with Leopard already pre-installed?

You must install Leopard before you can create a Boot Camp partition and install Windows XP.

Also - just because your Windows XP CD works to install XP on a PC does not necessarily mean it's the proper version which can be installed using Boot Camp. Read the Boot Camp installation instructions. (PDF file)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
todograd

todograd is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to get a macbook pro dual booting with OSX and XP. I've tried installing OSX first and then installing XP but when it goes to install windows, I get a disk error message. I had tried to install XP first then install OSX, but when I go to install OSX it does not recognize the partition even when I go into Disk Utility and format it OSX Extended (Journaled). Can someone guide me in the right direction so I can get this dual booted with OSX and XP. and do I install OSX first then install XP or does it matter?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
in2media

in2media is on a distinguished road

question here
if thats ok

why is it illegal to install mac os-x on a pc but ok to install xp on a mac
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Because that's what the licensing specifies. If you have any questions about why that is, I suggest you direct your questions directly to Apple and Microsoft.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

When people say "illegal," what they mean is "in violation of the end user license agreement." That's how these guys have set it up, and so be it.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

To the OP, are you quick formatting the partition of doing a full format? You have to use Full Format. Not sure if that is your issue, but thought I would mention it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Guild Wars | Xp Lite S3 ISO »