New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasn't me View Post
Ok it took like 2 seconds to delete th xp partition....Is that normal. And do I have to do some kind of disk clean up like I used to do on xp.?
Yes on the first question, no on the second.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasn't me View Post
Ok it took like 2 seconds to delete th xp partition....Is that normal. And do I have to do some kind of disk clean up like I used to do on xp.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Yes on the first question, no on the second.
Pretty cool, huh?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Benny130

Benny130 is on a distinguished road

More help needed.

I think I have gone the long way around getting this far however i have to go down this road now!!!

So while running bootcamp it says it is unable to create partition and to back up and erase the hd. I did this with time machine and rebooted using the install disc.

Now should i restore from time machine before reinstalling osx?

I am thinking i should reinstal osx then run bootcamp and then when all is well restore all of my files from time machine??

Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny130 View Post
More help needed.

I am thinking i should reinstal osx then run bootcamp and then when all is well restore all of my files from time machine??

Thanks in advance!!
That sounds like a plan.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Benny130

Benny130 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
That sounds like a plan.
a good plan?
QUOTE Thanks
tobafemi

tobafemi is on a distinguished road

Help! I need to put windows xp, on my mbp for college. It has snow leapord on it atm. Im jsut wondering how much space do i need to make on the hardrive for it, and will the wireless internet work like normal in windows? please help!
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Print out the Apple Boot Camp installation Guide and read then, then keep it handy during the install. How much space you need depends on what you are putting on but very few people need over 32 GB. most get by with much less. Would not go under 10, IMO. After installing it, boot into Windows and then insert your Snow Leopard install disk - it will install all the drivers (including wireless).

Don't forget you'll need a full retail copy or "OEM System Builders" version of XP SP2 or later, on a single disk, for the install to work.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
tobafemi

tobafemi is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks a million sammy. So I put the snow leopard CD in when i have windows running??
QUOTE Thanks
t-dog

t-dog is on a distinguished road

What CD do i need if want to get windows vista on my macbook as there are lots of them on the web but i don't know which is the right one!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-dog View Post
What CD do i need if want to get windows vista on my macbook as there are lots of them on the web but i don't know which is the right one!!
Not sure that I would recommend buying Vista at the moment with Windows 7 coming out in a couple of weeks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

To tobafemi: yes, put in your SL disk once you are running Windows. Drivers should install automatically.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Britanicus99

Britanicus99 is on a distinguished road

I just installed windows xp-pro and found that following the instructions from apple is pretty good.

One of the thing I ran into tho was about pressing the options key when restarting the computer to switch between OS's on boot up.

I ttook me a long time to find that out because it is assumed that everyone knows this.

Another is if you have a hard time ejecting the cd drive when in windows OS press command and E at same time. This should eject your disk because it seems that the eject button on your MBP doesn't work.

Also you may want to get a bluetooth mouse as the touch pad on the MBP doesn't seem to let you right click.

Finally read as much as you can, many handy tips and tricks can be found if you take the time to uncover them.

Put the most up to date OS disk you have in and it will do the rest. Some glitches but I am working on it.

I am still working on driver updates etc as where I am has no wireless atm. I bet that is not going to go smoothly but alas part of the charm of a MB is learning how to use it.

Last edited by Britanicus99; 10-18-2009 at 09:56 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
maryloud

maryloud is on a distinguished road

To Eject a disk, Command+E. Or the key at the right top row of the keyboard that has the eject symbol (a triangle over a bar) on it. Or if you shut down, then hold down the left mouse key while you boot until the disk pops out.
QUOTE Thanks
iTone

iTone is on a distinguished road

Ok, in a matter of a few months I've had THREE windows crashes. Two from my XP Virtual Machine and one from my bootcamp partition (which I run mostly as a Virtual machine) Using VM Ware Fusion 3.

What could I be doing that is causing this... I don't think it's a bug issue... I'm running Norton Corporate and use windows for business only... legit websites, no untrustworthy downloads, no funky websites... any thoughts anyone? This is MOST frustrating... my boss is now saying... "well it's cuz you have a mac, they're just not compatible" Howabout your stupid brain is not compatible.

iTone - 17" MacBook Pro 2.4, Black MacBook 2.16, iPhone 3Gs
QUOTE Thanks
Henry101

Henry101 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, OS X v. 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I want to use Boot Camp to install Windows on my MB, but every time I run boot camp it says I need to format my HD as a "Single Mac OSX Extended (Journal) Volume". I checked my Disk Utility and that's how it's set up now. So I'm really confused as to what to do.

-Henry101
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 8, lion, and leopard on same disc ?? | Trouble running boot camp! »