New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try shutting down. Hold the option (alt) key down while booting - should give you the option to select your OS X partition.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenfollower

ravenfollower is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15"

If you want to eject a disk from your optical drive during startup, hold down your mouse button (or the click button on a laptop) as the computer starts up.

-Nik

== "There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew." ==
- Marshall McLuhan
QUOTE Thanks
Greysquirrel34

Greysquirrel34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
I would also add that BEFORE you even think about installing Windows, be it though Boot Camp, Parallels or whatever... that you take the time to evaluate why you need Windows on your Mac in the first place.

Don't make installing Windows a top priority... especially when you don't even have a Mac yet. Take the time to learn OS X first.
I would wait at least a month before even considering a Windows install.

More often than not, you will be able to find software or other methods to achieve the result you were planning on using Windows to attain. This would negate the need for a Windows install period.

If you only need Windows for "one thing", and you already have a working Windows machine, then there is no need to install Windows on your Mac.
That "one thing" could potentially eat up a huge amount of space and resources on your Mac.
Can't agree more, I have a 9 yr. old iMac that does everything I need ,I need a windows machine once or twice a month and I use an old HP laptop to download some files of updates to firmware for some equipment I have. Bought this machine for my wife a few years ago when she needed one for her work, she left that job and it sat around for a long time doing nothing till I found a use for it. For me to spend money on a new Mac just to run windows would be a waste, although I think I will get into the 21st century some time early next year after Snow Leopard has has a chance to shake it self out. Unless it comes out bug free upon release. Could that really happen?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Try shutting down. Hold the option (alt) key down while booting - should give you the option to select your OS X partition.
A couple of questions along this line:

1) Does this above mentioned method work with an external drive connected?

2) If so, is it possible to boot into windows using the external to use one application from the windows drive? I have the windows machine backed up to a partition on my external drive.

Reason I ask is I am addicted to Peggle Deluxe (I know - old game) and I don't want to turn on my Dell desktop (takes forever) just to play this one game. I'd like to "phase-out" the Dell entirely and this is one of the things holding me back.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1. Yes, this works for an external drive - otherwise a SuperDuper! bootable backup wouldn't be nearly as worthwhile.

2. No, this will not work for Windows. Windows will not boot from an external. This is a limitation of Windows.

QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
1. Yes, this works for an external drive - otherwise a SuperDuper! bootable backup wouldn't be nearly as worthwhile.

2. No, this will not work for Windows. Windows will not boot from an external. This is a limitation of Windows.
Hello, I don't mean for my very first post to be a argument post, or to be portrayed as "that guy" but it is VERY possible to boot from an external drive whether hard drive, cd drive, what have you. All you need to do is change your boot sequence in BIOS, and it will run fine.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Hello, I don't mean for my very first post to be a argument post, or to be portrayed as "that guy" but it is VERY possible to boot from an external drive whether hard drive, cd drive, what have you. All you need to do is change your boot sequence in BIOS, and it will run fine.
I don't mean to be "that" guy either, but since when do Mac's have a BIOS?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Aside from not having a BIOS, I never said that it is not possible to boot from a hard drive, cd drive, what have you.

I clearly affirmed that you can boot OS X from an external drive.

I stated you could not boot Windows from an external drive due to a limitation of Windows itself.

While there may be hacks/haxies you can find out there on the vast interwebz to do this, it is neither easy to implement, nor does it work for everyone.

Not only that, it would also be outside any discussion allowed here, since we abide by U.S. law including the EULAs of the software developers and agreed to when you install their software.

Last edited by bobtomay; 09-24-2009 at 01:24 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Wasn't me

Wasn't me is on a distinguished road

hi gang a quick bit of help needed. Basically got a macbook with 320g hard drive. I had windows xp pro installed using half of my hard drive. Now that i've messed around with the mac for a month i'm making a permanent switch to mac . Now ive gone into bootcamp and it has the option to remove my xp part and use all the memory for mac os, but it says its only 296g of memory. so where has the 24g gone. I understand that the actually os system uses some of it but isn't 24g a bit much.....am i missing something. By the way I havent deleted xp from the system just had a quick look at how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Upgrade to Snow Leopard and you'll get your whole 320 GB.

QUOTE Thanks
Wasn't me

Wow quick reply. sorry cant afford snow leopard yet,as i just got a 24" imac at work and just got my self this macbook second hand a month ago, so broke .
So if I remove the xp partition 296g is correct then. and do I need any disks for the leopard thats already on my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yep, that's correct and no, shouldn't require any discs just to restore it to a single volume with BootCamp Assistant.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasn't me View Post
Now ive gone into bootcamp and it has the option to remove my xp part and use all the memory for mac os, but it says its only 296g of memory. so where has the 24g gone. I understand that the actually os system uses some of it but isn't 24g a bit much.....am i missing something.
It's how a hard drive size is calculated. Most operating systems including OS X pre-10.6 measure(d) hard drive size using base-2 notation. In other words, a MB was equal to 1024 KB and a GB was equal to 1024 MB and so on. When you buy a hard drive from a store, the size is measured in base-10 notation meaning that a MB equals 1000 KB and a GB equals 1000 MB. So, under Leopard, the hard drive size is calculated as being ~298 GB because the size is "converted" from base-10 to base-2. If you use the calculator here, it will show you that a base-10 HD size of 320 GB is 298.02GB is base-2 notation.

Starting with Snow Leopard, OS X measures hard drive sizes with base-10 notation, much like manufacturers do. So, my 320GB HD is now reported as 319.73GB.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Wasn't me

Guys thanks for the help. By the way I didnt realise snow leopard upgrade was only £25 here in the U.K. I'll prob order one this week.
But thank you for quick replies and help.
I'm about to erase my xp partition and will be back to report.
QUOTE Thanks
Wasn't me

Ok it took like 2 seconds to delete th xp partition....Is that normal. And do I have to do some kind of disk clean up like I used to do on xp.?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 8, lion, and leopard on same disc ?? | Trouble running boot camp! »