New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Can I run Bootcamp with the same install of XP I used for Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Big Kahuna

The Big Kahuna is on a distinguished road

Here's the deal. I bought a new MBP that already had parallels running Windows XP. I was wondering if I can set up Boot Camp to run off of that same install. I don't have the XP disc, as it was already on my computer when I bought it. Is it still possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

While Parallels does have the option of using a Boot Camp install, the way you're setup is the reverse of what needs to be done to accomplish this.

Did you get the XP disc when you bought the computer? If so, then what you need to do is wipe XP from Parallels, install XP via Boot Camp, and then point Parallels to the Boot Camp partition when setting up a new virtual machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
The Big Kahuna

Unfortunately I didn't get the XP disc. So there's no way to set Boot Camp up with my current setup?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

No. BootCamp requires a full install version of Windows to be installed on the disk partition that it creates. Parallels and Fusion install Windows within a 'soft' disk/virtual machine. You can use a Boot Camp partition's Windows to create a VM in either Fusion or Parallels, but you can't do the opposite. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
The Big Kahuna

Bummer. Don't suppose there is any other method of obtaining the necessary software for a Boot Camp install, short of dropping 200 bucks for something I already own?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, there's not. But, you should be able to still find an OEM copy of XP for about $100 rather than the retail version for $200. Not sure if newegg will sell it without the purchase of other hardware or not.

You don't really own a copy of it already. At least not for that computer. The copy of XP that's on your computer was kept by the person that sold it to you so that they could install it on their next computer. Haven't heard of it happening often, but once they install it and start updating it, you may at some point find yours doesn't function after a MS genuine advantage check.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
The Big Kahuna

Really? Wow, that certainly sucks. Windows 7, here I come!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, it does. That's why you should always get the disks with any installed software when purchasing used. Not to mention, you're just up the creek if you ever need to re-install and don't have them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows XP w/ SP3 -- Issue or not? | Emailed attachments in .doc unopenable .dat »