New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - using boot camp with VM Fusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakeatwood

jakeatwood is on a distinguished road

I installed VM Fusion a few months ago, then unistalled it because it was having problems. I installed Boot Camp (which has worked perfectly) but today I decided to install VM Fusion again. However, I can't get it to use my boot camp partition. I'd like to share the same disc for both VM Fusion and Boot Camp if possible.

It gives me this error message when I try to start up my Boot Camp partition from VM Fusion: Cannot open the disk '/Users/jakeatwood/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Reason: The partition table on the physical disk has changed since the disk was created. Remove the physical disk from the virtual machine, then add it again.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I'm guessing the partition from Boot Camp is a windows filesystem? ntfs probably, and by default, mac can't read that?? just a guess
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

The reason is you can't open a Boot Camp partition from within Fusion. Have you created a virtual machine in Fusion (i.e., install Fusion, open it, select "new" from the Library screen or drop down menus). Fusion will automatically detect your BC partition and offer to create a virtual machine from it. Then, you'll be able to use Windows both ways - either booting into it, or in a VM from within OSX.

Does that make sense?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
PieroP

PieroP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook unibody 4Gb/500HD

Hello! I've a similar problem with bootcamp and vmware. I'll show you by images. No result reinstalling Fusion... I can't find any other pref or so related to vmware/bootcamp to delete... I reinstalled Vista in bootcamp using again bootcamp utility, but the same: I can't delete "bootcamp damaged partition" (the new bootcamp refuses to see ethernet, persisting the other document, I guess...
Please note: 1)Vista on bootcamp works perfectly booting win! 2) launching the damaged vmware bootcamp partition it says trying to repair but soon OSX collapses with the bad grey curtain asking for reboot...

thanks for help
Piero

QUOTE Thanks
PieroP

PieroP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook unibody 4Gb/500HD

Reply to myself...

the answer is here: VMware Communities: Boot Camp partition - File Damaged ...

Just a command line in Terminal and now everithing works well!

Thanks for attention

Piero
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels and Win 7 Beta | 3 Partition: HFS+(osx) NTFS(storage) NTFS(XP) »