New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Question about remapping eject key on MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Harkonenn

Harkonenn is on a distinguished road

I have a 17" MB Pro running Windows XP through BootCamp. I'm using SharpKeys to remap the CTRL, Option, Command and Delete keys to their respective Windows keys. The only one that's giving me a headache is the Delete key.

I've remapped it to be the Backspace key, but that doesn't quite cut it. I'm really missing the forward delete as well as the ability to directly delete files and folders within Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, Windows Explorer interprets the Backspace key as the navigational "Back" and not "delete this object."

My question is, can I remap the Eject button to function as the forward delete? Or is it hardwired like the FN key?

If this remapping isn't possible, can anyone recommend a good laptop stand that would raise the machine high enough off a desk to allow for an external keyboard to be used comfortably?

Thanks!

P.S. Some of you might get a kick out of this - since the FN key on the MB Pro is where the left CTRL key is on a PC laptop, I physically bound them together with a piece of rigid, transparent plastic and double sided tape to aid in my 15-yr. addiction to the CTRL key being all the way on the left.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Unfortunately, the "Eject" key is hardwired and as far as I'm aware can not be remapped.

As for a notebook computer stand, I use the "Griffin Elevator" which can be purchased at any Apple store or from Griffin direct. Great price at $39.99.

I have my aluminum Mac keyboard and Samsung 22" monitor on my desk with the machine setting on the Griffin.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Harkonenn

Harkonenn is on a distinguished road

Well, that's the answer I expected. Thanks for the recommendation on the Griffin - it looks like exactly what I need!
QUOTE Thanks
kx7

kx7 is on a distinguished road

Check out this, haven't tried it but looks like a good solution to what you are looking for.

KeyRemap4MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
sjocolaatje

sjocolaatje is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Unfortunately, the "Eject" key is hardwired and as far as I'm aware can not be remapped.
This is untrue, in MacOSX Eject can be remapped using KeyRemap4Macbook (KeyRemap4MacBook)
If you also want the eject key to handle repeats (like a real delete key) install Controllermate (ControllerMate :: Introduction) on top of it. Of course none of this will work under Windows I suppose but only on MacOSX.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallel's Virtual Core and Ram assignment | Identify Database file »