New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac - Horrible 3D performance in Vista under BootCamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marekt77

marekt77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24-inch iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 4GB RAM GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB

Hi All,

I have the following system:
24-inch iMac
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB

I installed Boot Camp, and first I installed Vista 64Bit. I managed to get all of the drivers installed, and the OS worked fine. So I loaded up a few games. Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament 3, etc... Every game ran horrible! I maybe got 5fps on the lowest graphical settings. I know that Apple does not officially support 64bit Vista on the iMac and the video card driver I was using was a hack, but then Nvidia announced the availability of notebook video drivers directly from them. I their official driver, and I had the same results. I did a Google search on this, and tried everything I could find, updating the audio drivers, disabling the wireless connection, etc... Nothing helped.

So this I decided to install the 32bit version, and use all of the drivers that Apple provided. This proved easier as I didn't have to hunt down 64bit drivers. However the results were the same. Horrible performance in any Windows game. Again I tried the Nvidia drivers, and again they did not help. Sometimes I even get an error that the video driver has crashed and vista is recovering. This happened in both 64bit and 32bit.

I am installing Vista Ultimate and have tried this with SP1 and without.

I know that the GeForce 8800GS is not a killer card, and I am not expecting to run Crysis, but Half Life 2, and Unreal Tournament 3 should run just fine! I have a dedicated Windows box with a GeForce 8800GTS that runs those games without breaking a sweat! But the iMac stutters horribly on 800x600. When I try to move the mouse around when the game is running it skips, and is not smooth.

So I am thinking this either has to be a driver issue, and I've not found that one magical driver that will fix this, or maybe I have faulty hardware. OSX runs fine, granted I do not have any games for it so I cannot really stress the video card under OSX. I was thinking of getting Call of Duty 4 for OSX to see how it runs.

But does anyone have any ideas? I found online that some people have no problems, while others are experiencing what I am seeing.

Any help would be appreciated! If you need any more info about my setup, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Marek
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

You need to install the 2nd dvd of OS/X after you have installed the Vista. I am not sure if the Vista drivers are on there yet or not. I guess you can download from Apple or NVIDIA.
QUOTE Thanks
marekt77

I downloaded the updated drivers from both Nvidia and Apple, and I am having the same issues.
QUOTE Thanks
Tofuik

Tofuik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!

After installing ultimate I ran the bootcamp setup from the second install disc and my vista runs fine, I didn't even grab any drivers from nvidia. HL2 and TF2 runs like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
avtraino

avtraino is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G4 Dual 1Ghz 1.5GB RAM 160GB HDD 10.5 Leopard

I would definitely suggest trying out CoD 4 for Mac. That at least would help narrow the scope, and if it works, you'll get a sweet game

QUOTE Thanks
marekt77

I have CoD on order, when it comes in, I will try it in OSX and see how it runs. I am not sure the Apple Tech Support folk will be to willing to troubleshoot a Windows issue, but if I am having problems with an OSX game, well I might have them replace the computer for me. I did read somewhere that Nvidia had a batch of bad notebook chips, and I know iMac use notebook versions of the chip, which is what I may be seeing here. Let you guys know after I get CoD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G4 dual boot questions/problems | Parallels/Boot Camp Issues...Help Needed »