New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Other - How can I get past a stop error?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NoOneSpecific

NoOneSpecific is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums. I recently got a Macbook Pro 15" with a 2.5 GHZ dual core intel and an 8600m GT 512 with 4 gigabytes of ram and Leopard pre-installed with Boot Camp 2.0.
I've been having a problem installing Windows. When I first start its setup on the partition, it never even gets to the part where I can select Fat32 or NTSF. I always get a 6f stop error. By the way, the copy of windows is a used version of XP professional with SP2, but it is legitimate.
This is extremely frustrating and any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of XP Pro SP2 disk is it? Only a boxed MS full install SP2 Home or Pro will work - or, a system builders full install SP2 Home or Pro version.

Branded versions, restore, recovery, and the like will not work. Also, the so called legitimate corporate (VL) licensed Pro version does not work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
NoOneSpecific

NoOneSpecific is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

No, it's a boxed full install version.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecific View Post
No, it's a boxed full install version.
If the copy of Pro is as you say, then it may be time to run Disk Utility from your Leopard install disk and verify the hard drive in your MBP. If the hard drive verifies OK, you may have a defective XP Pro SP2 disk.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Windows OS from Dell on new MBP | When installing Win Vista, does everything get erased? »