New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Other - Can I share my Vista printer with OS9?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bnelson333

bnelson333 is on a distinguished road

EDIT - somehow I missed the networking forum, if an admin could kindly move the post, I'd appreciate it.

Hey all, new here, actually pretty new to macs in general. I bought my daughter a cheap iMac G3 off craigslist (mostly to keep her off my laptop). It has both OS9 and OSX, but most of her toddler games run best on OS9, so that's what it boots to.

I snagged a cheap AirPort card off ebay, so in addition to getting it hooked up to the internet, I'd like to try to set it up so that she can print from her iMac to the printer that's connected to my laptop -- but it runs Vista (home premium).

I can't find a lot of info on this (naturally, OS9 and Vista are not only two different animals, but two different eras), any thoughts?

The printer is an HP Deskjet 5740 if that makes a difference (it plugs in via USB to the laptop).
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The big question is whether there is a compatible OS9 driver for this printer. If it is relatively new, then I'd be surprised if HP supplies a driver for it for OS9 (OS9 has been pretty much unsupported for about 5 years now).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bnelson333

Actually, it looks like they do! (it's kind of an old printer)

Select software and drivers*

But my problem is I have positively no idea what I'm doing. I could barely figure out how to change the system settings (though I did actually manage to change the cmos battery and upgrade the RAM).
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I wish I could direct you further, unfortunately, my experience with versions prior to OS X is very limited.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You may be better off running that G3 with OS X, it will make the printer networking much, much easier.

You probably know this, but OS X can run OS 9 apps (including those games) by opening up OS 9 in the background. Just try and run those games from OS X, you will find they just run

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bnelson333

I've tried all of her games under OSX (I was leaning that way myself) but at least half of them either don't run, or are glitchy. Now that I know HP makes a driver for this, I will play with it when I get the AirPort card.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

When in Classic and connected to the net, download the HP file for OS 9, it will appear on the desktop, double click, run the software, go into Chooser and select.

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
bnelson333

What an interesting journey this is becomming, especially for a mac newbie like myself.

Anyway, after I figured out how to get the AirPort card working and getting it on the internet, I realized that there aren't really any good browsers out there for OS 9 (except maybe icab). In addition to the physical CD games she has, she also likes to play games on pbskids.org so I need something better.

So I decided just to bite it and use OS X. Some of her games won't work, even in classic mode, but whatever. But then I found that the version of OS X that came with her computer is 10.1, which, nobody makes a browser for either!!! I need at least 10.2 to get Firefox 2... (and for Windows networking support, more about that below)

Fine, hit up craigslist, found somebody who will sell me an old set of Jaguar discs for cheap, and get it installed.

So Firefox is installed, but Java doesn't work (needed for pbskids.org), so Firefox installs the missing plugin... wrong version, pbskids.org doesn't work. Fought with it for a while, figured out how to download Flash 9 and get it in the right folder, restart Firefox, hooray it works!

So coming back to the printer problem. I figure since Jaguar and AirPort is working, I'll download the HP drivers and have it up and running in no time. LOL, not.

I configured smb with my workgroup name, so in finder, connect to server, the iMac can see my vista laptop, but when I try to connect to it, I get an error (don't remember the exact error now). And beyond all that, I can't figure out how to install a "network printer". In Windows, I typically would have installed the drivers, then "switched" it in the settings from a physical connection to a network address, but I can't figure out how to do that in OS X.

I gave up for the weekend. Her website works, I'll keep fighting with the printer next weekend.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« General Problems | Windows OME. Won't read a software CD in Drive? »