New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux - Getting Linux to boot on macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BDBMX

BDBMX is on a distinguished road

Hello, this is my first post here as Im pretty new to mac stuff so be gentle

Basiacally Im trying to triple boot my macbook pro with OSX, Vista, and Suse Linux, and I'm having trouble getting Linux to boot. Ive installed windows with boot camp, and I'm using REFIt as a boot manager. I partitioned the 120GB disk into 50gb OSX, 50GB Windows, 2GB Swap for linux and the rest ext3 for linux.

The problem is getting Linux to boot. Refit lists all OS and OSX and Vista are booting ok, but if I try to boot linux I get "No bootable device found -- Insert porper boot media". Ive set up lilo.conf and installed lilo properly as far as I can tell.

So has anyone seen this before or know what would cause it?
QUOTE Thanks
aarnclayt

aarnclayt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6

did you install linux? i don't know much about suse, but it would also help if you mentioned where you installed lilo. mbr? or efi?
QUOTE Thanks
aarnclayt

also... more importantly... how did you partition your disk? it looks like you have 5 partitions which means 1 of them has to be an extended partition

this could be your problem. you may have to drop the swap partition so you just have
1)efi
2)hfs+
3)ntfs
4)linux/ext3
QUOTE Thanks
BDBMX

Thanks for the quick reply aarnclayt

Yes Ive installed Suse, and I believe Suse is on the MBR. I installed suse without a boot loader and then booted to a live CD and installed it using /sbin/lilo

The partitions, I originally had it layed out as you said but the suse installer suggested a swap so I added one thinking it made sense. Ill try and remove the swap.
QUOTE Thanks
aarnclayt

removing the swap now won't make a difference - I just wanted to make sure that suse was on a primary partition and not an extended one.

the only other thing i can think of is that your linux partition wasn't formatted as bootable.

sorry i cant be of more help
QUOTE Thanks
aarnclayt

just another sidenote. i've only ever used grub as a boot loader, but i've never had any trouble with it. i'm running arch linux and os x at the moment and have no problems at boot.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Subscribed... going to be attempting the same thing on a MBP 5,1 running Leopard 10.5.5, XP SP3 and openSUSE11 or SLES 10.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

****, three operating systems on a single laptop? Too much for it if you ask me.
QUOTE Thanks
BDBMX

It shouldn't be too much, its not like they all run at the same time. The only concern for me is disk space, but seeing as I keep most of my files on an external disk anyway thats not really a problem. I have however just introduced a new problem for myself by making a mistake installing vista again and wiping the EFI partition. That coupled with the fact I left my OSX DVD at work is making one **** of a pain in my neck. Sooo, Ill have to try again Monday when Ive got my disk back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mising Sound after installing SP3 with BC2.0 | dual boot xp 64 and os x.4 »