New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Realtek sound problems, lag problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Starflame

Starflame is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have had a MacBook Pro for a couple of months now and I had no problems running windows xp on in before. However a week or so ago the sound just disappeared and my winxp started lagging as ****. I thought it might have something to do with the updates i had recently installed and I think I deleted all of them (I might have missed some). My audio is Realtek High Definition Audio. The device manager finds no problems with it and it seems to be working fine. However when I open the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" in the control panel it says "No Audio Device" in volume and audio tabs.

However sound is not my only problem. The windows started lagging as ****, but there seem to be no processes causing this. When i open the task manager it says the CPU is 100% used. Always. Yet when i look at the process list the task manager seems to be taking all of the CPU.

My 10.5 works like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You've got something running in Windows XP that's sucking up your CPU, that's why the sound is lagging and the machine is running slow. Nothing to do with the updates you installed - probably.

You need to find out what it is. Download and install "Process Explorer" from the MS site. It's free. That should give you some idea what's eating the CPU.

Process Explorer

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Starflame

Starflame is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. The problems might not be because of the update, but the problem is that I have no sound at all. It does not lag, there is just none. When I open the Realtek sound control panel and go to the 3D audio test and press play it just crashes. And the lag on the system went down since i shut down some processes, like the gmail notifier. My Windows is still pretty much unworkable. Ant ideas on how to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp: Serious Sound Issues | triple boot »