New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.5 - BootCamp: Urgent Help Please


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
hojkoff_101

 
hojkoff_101's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 18, 2005
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
Posts: 225
hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

hojkoff_101 is offline
Right I've partitioned my HDD to install Windows XP. I put the XP CD in and clicked install. The computer shut down and then the screen went black.

I was like this for ages so I switched it off and then back on. Now I can't boot it at all! When I turn it on the screen goes grey as usual, then black with a flashing line at the top of the screen.

What do I do!? The XP CD is still in the machine and I can't get it out!

HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,555
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Your "Mac Specs" list a Powerbook G4 15". If that's true, Boot Camp is not compatible. You must have an Intel-powered Mac.

The next time you turn on your Powerbook, hold the Option key down. This will allow you the choice to boot your machine into OS X. Once done, run the Boot Camp Assistant and have it restore your drive to one partition.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

 
hojkoff_101's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 18, 2005
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
Posts: 225
hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

hojkoff_101 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Your "Mac Specs" list a Powerbook G4 15". If that's true, Boot Camp is not compatible. You must have an Intel-powered Mac.

The next time you turn on your Powerbook, hold the Option key down. This will allow you the choice to boot your machine into OS X. Once done, run the Boot Camp Assistant and have it restore your drive to one partition.
I've changed my mac to a macbook since I've typed all that lot in.

Right I'll give the options key a bash.

Since the typing of that message I have managed to make some progress. I've managed to boot the XP setup. I installed XP then when finished the computer went to reboot. However on this it says that "to boot from CD press a key" I don't want to do that so I just leave it, then it reads disc error.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,555
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojkoff_101 View Post
I've changed my mac to a macbook since I've typed all that lot in.

Right I'll give the options key a bash.

Since the typing of that message I have managed to make some progress. I've managed to boot the XP setup. I installed XP then when finished the computer went to reboot. However on this it says that "to boot from CD press a key" I don't want to do that so I just leave it, then it reads disc error.

Any thoughts?
If you don't attempt to boot from the CD, the system will try to boot the Windows partition. If the Windows partition didn't install properly or something is wrong with the partition structure, you may get a disc error.

What kind of Windows disc did you use?

The Boot Camp installation instructions are very specific on the type of disc you can use. If it's Windows XP, it MUST be a full version of Windows (not an upgrade). It must have SP2 integrated and it can not be an OEM-branded disc (i.e. it can't be one that came with another computer, if it has "Dell" or "HP" on it, for example, it's not going to work). You can use an "OEM for System Builders" disc, but again, it must have SP2 integrated at a minimum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
abt2crsh

 
Member Since: Nov 10, 2008
Posts: 1
abt2crsh is on a distinguished road

abt2crsh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
If you don't attempt to boot from the CD, the system will try to boot the Windows partition. If the Windows partition didn't install properly or something is wrong with the partition structure, you may get a disc error.

What kind of Windows disc did you use?

The Boot Camp installation instructions are very specific on the type of disc you can use. If it's Windows XP, it MUST be a full version of Windows (not an upgrade). It must have SP2 integrated and it can not be an OEM-branded disc (i.e. it can't be one that came with another computer, if it has "Dell" or "HP" on it, for example, it's not going to work). You can use an "OEM for System Builders" disc, but again, it must have SP2 integrated at a minimum.

I'm having pretty much the same exact problem right now. I started up bootcamp, partitioned about 35 gigs for windows, and during the installation process I lost power. After reading your post I realized that the windows disk I used says dell on it so as you said, it won't work. The problem is, when I boot my macbook pro it goes from a white screen to the black screen with the blinking cursor line.

Now, I did as you said and held the option key as I booted it and i was brought to another screen. This screen had two options. One was a picture of a hard drive with the word "windows" under it. The other was a disc with the word "Windows" under it. All I want to do it boot up OS X and pretend this never happened and I'm starting to get nervous.

This is my school laptop so there's alot of important stuff on it that I can't afford to lose, so I'm hoping to god I won't have to reinstall leopard or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,555
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by abt2crsh View Post
I'm having pretty much the same exact problem right now. I started up bootcamp, partitioned about 35 gigs for windows, and during the installation process I lost power. After reading your post I realized that the windows disk I used says dell on it so as you said, it won't work. The problem is, when I boot my macbook pro it goes from a white screen to the black screen with the blinking cursor line.

Now, I did as you said and held the option key as I booted it and i was brought to another screen. This screen had two options. One was a picture of a hard drive with the word "windows" under it. The other was a disc with the word "Windows" under it. All I want to do it boot up OS X and pretend this never happened and I'm starting to get nervous.

This is my school laptop so there's alot of important stuff on it that I can't afford to lose, so I'm hoping to god I won't have to reinstall leopard or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry to say it, but if you don't see 'Macintosh HD' appear as one of the options, then it's very likely you nuked your OS X partition somewhere along the line. You can return your hard disk to a single partition using Disk Utility (you'll need to boot from your system discs). Then simply restore your system from the backup you made prior to installing Boot Camp.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« All of a sudden mouse and keyboard not working | Simple Bootcamp Question »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bootcamp Questions $1()()0N$ Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 09-01-2008 03:33 AM
Questions about Bootcamp and Parallels wlow Switcher Hangout 3 05-03-2008 02:59 AM
Re-install Windows XP Pro using Bootcamp 1.2 on a Macbook kahmedsid Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 11-12-2007 10:58 AM
need urgent help regarding installation of bootcamp error Simmy Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 1 03-12-2007 06:21 PM
Issues with Parallels and BootCamp - activation, AVG Anti-Virus, Quicken mokjok Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 03-12-2007 07:45 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?