New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Classic - Can't override passwords or re-install on old Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digitalartetc

digitalartetc is on a distinguished road

Hey..I just bought an old iMac for my dad for like $20 on ebay. Trouble is it requires passwords which the person didn't who sold it to me didn't know. I figured I could just get an old os 9 install disc and start over. BUT..when I pop the disk in, it just spits it out. It doesn't recognize it. (The imac is running 9.2 and the install disk is 9..could that be the problem)? The CD drive works because I popped a regular audio CD in and it saw it fine. I tried restarting holding the "c" key down before it had a chance to spit the disk out but that didn't work either. Is there anyway to override these **** passwords? I just can't understand why the disk wont mount. It mounts on my current Mac so it's not a bad disk. Help this sucks! Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Pop the disc into your newer Mac, connect the two Macs via firewire, reboot your newer Mac and hold down "T". The boot the old iMac and hold down "option". You should be able to boot off the CD in the newer Mac's drive.

(assuming of course the old iMac has firewire and you have a Firewire to firewire cable).
QUOTE Thanks
digitalartetc

Thanks Apt but the old Imac does not have FW. Any way to get the 2 talking via USB?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, unfortunately not like the way I described above - that's a feature that only Firewire offers.

I don't think your can boot PowerPC Macs off of USB harddrives either... don't suppose you have an old external CD drive lying around?
QUOTE Thanks
digitalartetc

no i don't. but thank you much for your input. perhaps i'll take it to my local apple store and see if they can do something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which version of windows for this macbook pro / apps | can't get to run the windows »