New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Duel OS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Albireo

Albireo is on a distinguished road

okay i know Bootcamp is the general program to duel OS widows to a mac... but ive seen a program that you dont have to partition your hard drive and it just flips from Mac OS X to Windows. anyone know the name of that program?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Albireo,

I think you're talking about Parallels or Fusion - both are Virtual Machines (VMs) that are installed in OS X and then Windows is installed in the VM. Check out Parallels or Fusion so you can get an idea of how they work. Both VMs are about $70-80 whereas Boot Camp is already included free in OS X. There are pros and cons for Boot Camp (Windows operates at native speeds in Boot Camp, but you have to close down Windows to go to OS X or vice versa) whereas in a VM, Windows runs slower but both OS X and Windows can operate on the same desktop at the same time.

Hope this helps, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Albireo

Albireo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
Albireo,

I think you're talking about Parallels or Fusion - both are Virtual Machines (VMs) that are installed in OS X and then Windows is installed in the VM. Check out Parallels or Fusion so you can get an idea of how they work. Both VMs are about $70-80 whereas Boot Camp is already included free in OS X. There are pros and cons for Boot Camp (Windows operates at native speeds in Boot Camp, but you have to close down Windows to go to OS X or vice versa) whereas in a VM, Windows runs slower but both OS X and Windows can operate on the same desktop at the same time.

Hope this helps, Noel

Parallel was the one i was thinking of! thank you so much noel yeah i decided that i wanted to run that instead of bootcamp because im already tight on space on my 250g harddrive so i hated having to partition my drive to be about 53g smaller for Windows
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

I'm pretty sure you will still have to partition the drive. I'm running parallel.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You will not have to partition the drive. You can even download VMs that run instantly. I have Fusion 2.0 BTW.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

You do not have to partition to run Parallels or Fusion. They create "virtual" HDs while running. As the other poster indicated, there are pros and cons of VMs versus Boot Camp. I highly recommend to the OP that you download a trial version of Parallels or Fusion, get a copy of Windows or whatever other OS you plan to use, and try out the virtual machine to see if it suits your needs. I have Fusion and love it, but I don't game and have a MacBook for example, so I don't need to use a separate graphics card for my applications. If you do, Boot Camp may suit you better.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

You can install windows xp on a 5 gig partition in bootcamp.
You can also try virtualbox a free virtual machine manager.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Windows XP Right Click Only | iMac stuck in xp »