New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux - DRM Free through Linux on Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davidcoad

davidcoad is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I live in Australia and don't have access to Amazon music store (US only).

I have searched around for some alternative DRM free stores and found Wal-Mart and some others but they require Linux or Windows to install the software required to buy and download music.

I really like iTunes store but hate DRM, and I am happy to pay for music.

I have Parallels and wondered if I could run linux in a virtual machine, do all my music purchases via linux and run an apple script that copies the music in the linux partition to itunes on the mac partition whenever the folder changes, i.e. new music is added.

I am aware, but not familiar, with folder actions but I wondered if it could work between linux in a virtual machine and OSX

Thanks

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

What you propose can indeed be done.

Are you aware that a significant portion of the iTunes tracks are now DRM-free? Anything labled "iTunes +" is encoded at a higher bit rate and contains no DRM.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Depending on the music you are looking for there is also Emusic, which is all DRM free.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I really just want to know what's legal | Word X will not display correctly »