New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

y0itsj0hn

y0itsj0hn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8

Ok so I have accounting software that only runs on Windows. If I buy parallels and windows, will this leave my computer open to attacks/viruses?

From what I've been reading it seems like parallels is more convenient because you can run windows like a native mac application and you don't have to reboot.. what if any are the advantages of bootcamp over parallels?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

With BootCamp you aren't running two operating systems at once - so you're not sharing your RAM etc between the two, so I imagine it's going to be faster

If you install Windows the Windows bit is open to viruses like any other Windows computer, but even if you end up with a virus on your Mac side of things it can't do anything - a Windows virus won't run on a Mac like any other Windows program. With Bootcamp it won't be able to cross the Mac/Windows partition anyway.

You can always use both.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

You can download trial versions of Parallels and VMWare Fusion, which I encourage you to use and work with before making the decision regarding Boot Camp. You will need to install antivirus on any BC volume and also in any Parallels or Fusion virtual machine, just like on any other Windows-based PC, but in neither case will the rest of your Mac be affected.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Try Parallels, I can assure you that Bootcamp is much better though, at least it fully accesses your Mac's hardware parts. Any how, Boot camp has a dark-side too, you can not really access or even view your Macintosh volume while you're on Windows, because it is always a NTFS one; you can view the Windows partition while you are running Mac OS X though, but you only have the 'Read' permission, though you can use a 3rd party software so you can fully enjoy both priviliges 'Read & Write'. As for Parallels, it's pretty bad especially in games, the only good thing is that you don't have to restart, but it only uses up 512 MB of RAM if you have a 2 GB one, so that's pretty slow if you ask me.
QUOTE Thanks
the_guru1575

the_guru1575 is on a distinguished road

I know this could be an extremely dumb question but here it goes. I wanna run a windows only program on my macbook. So i downloaded parralels, but do I need to install a windows OS as well. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on exactly how to go about doing this. i really am lost here. thanks for any help you can give.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

You need a copy of Windows to install on your Mac as well. Do you have one?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

Yes. You need a licensed copy of Windows to install in addition to Parallels or Fusion, or Boot Camp. Many on this forum recommend buying an OEM system builder's version on newegg.com as one of the most cost-effective places. Windows disks that come with branded systems (e.g., the one that came with someone's HP, Dell or whatever) will not work, and in any case, violate the license.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
the_guru1575

the_guru1575 is on a distinguished road

no i dont have one. is it really expensive to buy ?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116056
QUOTE Thanks
Yitschaq

Yitschaq is on a distinguished road

I recently downloaded Parallels to see how well it worked and to see how well Windows would work with a game... I didn't think it would work and it didn't, it was very choppy (seeing that I was running two operating systems.)

Now, if I wanted to have windows on my macbook so that I could play a Windows only game, would Boot Camp work well enough? Like, will it be smooth and everything? Do you know this for a fact through experience?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

For gaming, boot camp works better because virtual machines (either in Parallels or Fusion) do not fully support 3D hardware acceleration in the graphics, assuming your Mac has a separate graphics adapter (i.e., you are not using a MacBook).

For productivity applications, Parallels and Fusion work seamlessly and are very smooth.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitschaq View Post
I recently downloaded Parallels to see how well it worked and to see how well Windows would work with a game... I didn't think it would work and it didn't, it was very choppy (seeing that I was running two operating systems.)

Now, if I wanted to have windows on my macbook so that I could play a Windows only game, would Boot Camp work well enough? Like, will it be smooth and everything? Do you know this for a fact through experience?
With BootCamp you're only running one OS - not two, and the whole graphics thing that's also been mentioned shouldn't be a problem - it should run like it would on any other PC with the same specs.
QUOTE Thanks
Capitalcrew

Capitalcrew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
For gaming, boot camp works better because virtual machines (either in Parallels or Fusion) do not fully support 3D hardware acceleration in the graphics, assuming your Mac has a separate graphics adapter (i.e., you are not using a MacBook).

For productivity applications, Parallels and Fusion work seamlessly and are very smooth.

Cheers
So that wouldn't be a problem with a macbook then? I want to install parallels so I can play SC2 when it comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

The MacBook has an integrated graphics controller - unlike the MBP, iMac and Mac Pro, which have separate graphics cards. The regular MB will not do well with games that have heavy graphics (whether in Boot Camp or via Parallels/Fusion) because it's graphics hardware is not up to the task. For serious gaming, you need one of the other Macs. Sorry if my post was not clear.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Capitalcrew

Capitalcrew is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply man. I assumed I was going to have to build a gaming rig running xp for gaming anyways, but I got my hopes up thinking about running it on here. Haha.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 Quest- Bootcamp/vista and macbook sleep settings.. | Disconnection from the Internet »