New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Getting rid of MSN icon on my desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Creosote

Hi everyone - i just installed MSN for the mac on my powerbook G4 and after installing the .dmg file an icon appeared on my desktop with MSN Messenger 4 under it.

How do i get rid of this? Its not the two little messenger people icon, just a little white drive kinda thing. I can get rid of it but when i run MSN it comes up again, and whenever i try to move it, it just creates a copy of it where i placed it. And when i try and delete it when i'm using MSN it says it can't because its in use.

I know its a little problem but i just don't want it on my desktop.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You technically did not install MSN Messenger

Open up the white disc icon and drag MSN Messneger into your Applications folder...When that is done copying over you can drag the white disc icon into the trash and it will unmount the icon

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Creosote

Far out that was a quick reply!!! Thanks heaps man - i love usin macs! we got a good windows pc in the other room but i prefer using my dad's laptop. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

No problem...That is a very common issue that switchers come into early on (and for most people [including myself] it always seems to come up with MSN Messenger)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
gesteves

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
No problem...That is a very common issue that switchers come into early on (and for most people [including myself] it always seems to come up with MSN Messenger)
Hahahaha it happened to me too!
QUOTE Thanks
dglenn

I know you already got your answer, but I thought I'd give you a little more info. That icon is what's know as a 'disc image' (.dmg), it works like an external (hard drive) device. It's basically a mounted folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Creosote

Ah I get it now. Thanks for your help mate
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« defrag hard drive and finder problems | Folder with "?" »