New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Classic - Problems installing SimCity 3000 on Mac OS 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MasterDogma

MasterDogma is on a distinguished road

I just downloaded SimCity 3000 onto my G3 Panther. It has 10.3.9 (default) and Mac OS 9 installed. In the folder I was provided it included 6 files, 1 BEFORE YOU INSTALL.rtf, 1 SimCity3000 Installer (document), 1 Quicktime Installer (folder), 1 SimCity 3000 (folder) and 1 torrent receipt.

I clicked the BEFORE YOU INSTALL item and a text document appeared and this is what it said:

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE:

1) Just open this folder and keep it in your hard disk or burn it on a CD.

2) Click on "SimCity3000 Installer" and it should do the rest.

3) Enjoy!

P.S. This game was initially designed to run on Mac OS 9 (classic) and it works only with that version. In order to run the game you need to install OS 9 in your current OSX (can be Panther or Tiger) and once installed, it will open as a simulator.

If you don't know where to find it, try to check on your Mac OSX installation CD that came with your computer and it should be there.
I tried double-clicking the Installer, but says "There is no default application specified to open the document 'SimCity3000 Installer'," and then prompts me to select an application.

Nothing I know of can open a document from Mac OS 9. I tried starting up Classic and then opening it, but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to play this game!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

boot the entire machine in to os 9

start up and press the option key, you should get the option to boot in to panther or os 9

boot up OS 9 and run the installer not from classic, but while in OS 9 itself
QUOTE Thanks
MasterDogma

I tried that, but I get an go button (arrow), restart button (curved arrow), and the symbol of my harddrive with an X next to it. Does this mean my only option is OS X? If so how do I change that? I know I have Classic and I have a OS 9 System Folder. And I supposed to have an OS 9 Harddrive too?

Pardon if these are stupid questions, I'm more software oriented.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

OK, in os x system preferences

there is an option start-up disk

do you get he option to start from os 9 from there?

Should be 9.2.1

PS If you boot from os 9, to get back to OS X, the option is in OS 9's control panels under the apple menu
QUOTE Thanks
MasterDogma

Alright I got to the OS9 screen and I tried opening the installer, but it says it can't open it because I don't have the program the Installer was written in. Would anyone know what that was and where I can download it?
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

The installer should be an application however something has gone wrong in the transfer and something is messed in the datafork.

If you downloaded it on a PC and then transferred to the mac uncompressed it probably messed it up. I would suggest getting it again and preferably on the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
MasterDogma

That's what I've been doing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partition Windows XP harddrive issues | VMWare Fusion Keyboard Problem »