New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux - Linux

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazychristian

crazychristian is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I just have a few questions about Linux. :p

1) I went onto the Linux site, and they said something about distributions. Is it that there is no linux OS, but many versions of it? So Linus is the "base" format or something?

2) Will I be able to run all Linux programs on all types of distributions?

3) Installing Linux by bootcamp... Do you absolutely need a CD for that or can you download the OS onto your hard drive partition?

4) If I do install Linux by downloading it off of the internet, will it operate normally or do i have to do any extra steps?

Thanks.

98% of statistics are false
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There are a wealth of Linux distributions to choose from. The most popular one seems to be Ubuntu 8.04. I've had Ubuntu installed as dual boot on my Windows machine for some time and it's a fun operating system.

If you would like to install it on your Mac the easiest way is to purchase a copy of VMWare Fusion and download a prebuilt VM of Ubuntu 8.04. The prebuilt VM is commonly called a "virtual appliance".

Go to the VMWare site and the Ubuntu site. Look around and read some of their forum threads.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

1) Linux is the kernel, GNU are the tools used to compile it. Thats why some distro's correctly say GNU/Linux

2) Yes

3) You need the CD

As chscag mentioned, there are a ton of distributions. Personally I hate Ubuntu, but it seems to be the most beginner friendly.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I also run Ubuntu 8.04 in a Fusion VM. Works very well and I agree, it's fun to mess around with. If you are going to play around with Linux there are numerous "flavors," and I would recommend using Fusion and creating virtual machines for each one and seeing what you can do with them.

Ubuntu comes with quite a bit of software already loaded (office apps, email photo editing, internet, remote access, games, etc.). Other versions, as I understand it, are all a bit different and have different purposes. Ubuntu is meant to be "Linux for the masses," hence the term Ubuntu - which means humanity in Swahili I think ...

Finding and loading software in Linux is something of a whole other discussion, which is why I would start with something like Ubuntu and go from there after you are up the curve a bit.

Anyway, I would start with Linux in a virtual machine and if you REALLY like it, then you could install it under Boot Camp but you'll need a distro disk for that.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few questions about Bootcamp | Running Windows »