Boot Camp problem: Windows Service Pack 2
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have a normal MacBook, and today I installed Windows onto it. Following the Boot Camp instructions, I installed my OSX CD into the disk drive to install the Boot Camp features, but when the disk was read, it said that Windows Service Pack 2 was required in order to run the program. I could not find anything about that in the instructions, and I am confused as to what it is.

Also, without installing any of the Boot Camp features onto the Windows, is there anyway to access OSX upon turning on the computer? Any time that I turn it on now, it automatically goes to Windows.

Thanks

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Pocky,

Read the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide. Get it at Applications>utilities>Boot Camp Assistant.app, on the cover page there's a button at the bottom, select it and print the pdf guide. It will tell you everything you need to know. Follow it to a T and you'll be OK.

Next time you're in Windows, there's an icon on the lower right that let's you change how your Mac boots. Use that and you'll have a choice.

Noel

Noel, I did print that out prior to installing Windows. The problem is now that since I cannot install the Boot Camp applications, it does not show up in the bottom right hand corner.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    reboot and hold down the option (alt) key and you'll be able to choose which OS you boot into

Thanks for the help. I have a new problem though. I now want to go back to Windows and download Service Pack 2, but when I turn on my laptop and hold down option, only the symbol for OSX comes up. How do I get back to my Windows?

Thanks

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Pocky,

I think since your Windows CD didn't have SP2, it may not have installed properly and that's why you couldn't load apps and it wouldn't open a second time.

I suggest you open Boot Camp again (from within OS X) and delete your Windows installation and partition and start over. This time use a retail copy of Windows with SP 2 or the one you have with SP 2 slipstreamed into it. And this time go by those instructions you printed out and you shouldn't run into any problems. It tells you to use a disc with SP2 right in the front...

Good luck, Noel

EDIT: Here's one of the less expensive versions of XP with SP2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116056 The same one I used and it worked great!!

Question Memory issues with Service Pack2
    I have a Mac Book Pro and have successfully installed XP Home Edition. I don't have service pack 2 in the install disk itself, but i managed to download it on another CD. When trying to update from the separate disk, it loads for a minute and then stops and tells me that i need an additional 4 megs of disk space before i can continue the operation. When i go to check my disk space I find that I have around 29 gigs of space left.

What am i supposed to do? I had the same problem an earlier time when I installed XP and had a game installed. It said it need 4 megs again. Then I deleted the game and it said it still needed 4 more megs.

Please help. I'm starting to get really annoyed by this. One of the guys at the genius bar couldn't really help me either. Windows for the lose.

The Boot Camp instructions are very clear that you need a single install disk with XP SP2 (or SP3) on it. I would also delete the partition and start over with an SP2/SP3 disk. You are going to run into big issues without it. You can also slipstream SP2 onto a new disk with your Windows version (I personally don't know how to do this and didn't need to, but there are many posts on this topic in the forum if you search for "slipstream") - that can also work.

Alternatively, you could install Parallels or Fusion and run a virtual machine with the copy of windows you have (and update it to SP2 etc. within the VM). A copy of Fusion is cheaper than a new copy of Windows but you won't be booting native.

Good luck.

Thread Information