New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

iMac - install xp on bootcamp using external DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unjosnav

unjosnav is on a distinguished road

greetings…
I have looked a solution in google to solve my problem but not encounter soluciony already

I am something desperate… my problme is with my iMac (intel) and the internal dvd is not working, and I need to install Windows XP on bootcamp partition.

I have connected an external USB DVD and it recognizes / reads discs in leopard, then I introduced an ORIGINAL xp CD to it and leopard reeds good.

all nice, but when I say to bootcamp assisten that start the installation of windows xp in the bootcamp partition (already have), the iMac restart, and a white screen appear, and thats all.

I thinks is not freez but not can reed usb dvd

I repeat, like to install Windows XP, or from a USB flash drive (4GB), or external dvd USB,

It is possible ?
how can i do this please

really thankful with any help
thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Hold the option key down after Boot Camp Assistant prompts you to start the installation and reboots the machine. This should allow you to select the disc to boot from and should include your external drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
unjosnav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Hold the option key down after Boot Camp Assistant prompts you to start the installation and reboots the machine. This should allow you to select the disc to boot from and should include your external drive.
thanks but .....
is not working like this.
the external drive i can see when i am on mac os leopard, but when reboot and hold option key, the imac can NOT show this external drive.

only show 2 drives.
1. the mac drive, and 2. the windows xp drive (can not start)

how can i reinstall xp (new copy) from external drive or usb drive please ?
i really need this help !

thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't believe you can install XP from an external CD or DVD drive. The reason is because OS X will not recognize the external USB DVD drive with an XP disk as a bootable device and refuse to boot from it. Your best bet is to either replace the defective internal drive or have it repaired.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
unjosnav

thanks for your valious help.
realy thanks.....

in fact, OSx dont recognize the external USB DVD drive with MAC OSX too.

no external drive with mac osx , or xp.
big question.... why ?

thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
lily101

lily101 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM, Ipod

This same problem is driving me crazy. I am a new member and want to start a thread but not sure how so joining this one seeemed my only option.

I have tried and tried to instale Vista Ultimate on to my new MacBook, I have successfully re-partioned the HD many times and each time my MB restarts to install Windows, the screen goes grey then flashes as if something's going wrong then I see the error message 'No bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key'.

Every time! The copy of windows is fine, it works on pcs. I don't understand what's happening. I can still access Mac os x by holding down alt as I start up the machine. Also it does recognise windows, when I hold alt it gives me option whether to start up in mac or windows (represented by a disk image).

Please help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CoCoTheMonkey

CoCoTheMonkey is on a distinguished road

Same problem. iMac 20". External LaCie DVD drive because the internal has failed. Run Bootcamp and when you want to proceed with the installation you get nothing but a white screen.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoTheMonkey View Post
Same problem. iMac 20". External LaCie DVD drive because the internal has failed. Run Bootcamp and when you want to proceed with the installation you get nothing but a white screen.
And... the same answer as given before. You can't install Windows using the Boot Camp assistant and an external optical drive. Won't work with a flash drive either. Replace or repair the internal optical drive.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hdpinto

hdpinto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And... the same answer as given before. You can't install Windows using the Boot Camp assistant and an external optical drive. Won't work with a flash drive either. Replace or repair the internal optical drive.

Regards.
Well what if I dont want to waste money on a 3 year old laptop. Leopard installed fine from my external DVD writer, why not Windows? What possible difference could there be?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpinto View Post
Leopard installed fine from my external DVD writer, why not Windows? What possible difference could there be?
Think about what you just said...Macintosh OS & Windows OS..."What possible difference could there be?"

Worlds of difference...this debate has been on going since 1985!!!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
mcShinigami

mcShinigami is on a distinguished road

I'm new here... and I'd just like to say that you CAN install Windows XP from an external USB DVD drive. (I've done it)

The steps I used are as follows:
1 - Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition (it'll be FAT32)
2 - Download and install the program: rEFIt
3 - Reboot your Mac TWICE
4 - On the SECOND reboot, a screen similar to the one you'd get if you were holding option down on boot. But unlike the screen you get when you hold option down, this time your external CD/DVD drive will show up. If you have a Windows XP install disk inserted you'll have the option to boot from that.
5 - Install Windows normally. If your partition is over 32GB then you'll want to reformat the partition to NTFS.
6 - Once installed, install Apple Drivers
7- Enjoy that you now have a duel booting machine. The only real difference I've noticed is that when you turn on the computer you'll have to pick what OS you want to boot, instead of it auto booting Mac. I have a feeling this might be able to be changed, but I like it, so I haven't tried.

Like I said, I'm new to the forums and I just kind of stumbled across this thread and replied. Sorry if I'm grave digging or restating something someone already posted on another thread.
QUOTE Thanks
AtomAlf

AtomAlf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcShinigami View Post
I'm new here... and I'd just like to say that you CAN install Windows XP from an external USB DVD drive. (I've done it)

The steps I used are as follows:
1 - Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition (it'll be FAT32)
2 - Download and install the program: rEFIt
3 - Reboot your Mac TWICE
4 - On the SECOND reboot, a screen similar to the one you'd get if you were holding option down on boot. But unlike the screen you get when you hold option down, this time your external CD/DVD drive will show up. If you have a Windows XP install disk inserted you'll have the option to boot from that.
5 - Install Windows normally. If your partition is over 32GB then you'll want to reformat the partition to NTFS.
6 - Once installed, install Apple Drivers
7- Enjoy that you now have a duel booting machine. The only real difference I've noticed is that when you turn on the computer you'll have to pick what OS you want to boot, instead of it auto booting Mac. I have a feeling this might be able to be changed, but I like it, so I haven't tried.

Like I said, I'm new to the forums and I just kind of stumbled across this thread and replied. Sorry if I'm grave digging or restating something someone already posted on another thread.
Hey. This fix almost worked for me. I got rEFIx installaed, booted twice, and got the refit menu to work, no problems here.

My problem now i that i don't get the external dvd as an option to boot from. This i what i get:
1. Boot from MAC OS X from Macintosh HD
2. Boot legacy OS from HD

and then ofcause the 5 points underneath with shutdown, reboot, etc.

The externmal dvd drive showes perfectly when im in MAC OS, and works perfectly when i install MAC OS from it.

Any ideas why on earth i dont get the option to boot from the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
mcShinigami

mcShinigami is on a distinguished road

The only time I've not seen my external drive show up to boot from with refit, is when the disc that's in the drive isn't actually bootable.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
The only time I've not seen my external drive show up to boot from with refit, is when the disc that's in the drive isn't actually bootable.
Thanks for posting the above method. Many folks have used rEFIt but primarily to setup a triple boot scenario. I wonder if your method will work with an upgrade version of Windows? It seems as if it would since the only reason one can not use an upgrade version with the standard method of installing Windows is because of the Mac slot drive. No way to mechanically eject the disk.

With an external DVD drive, the Windows install upgrade disk can be ejected and proof of previous version can be inserted so as to allow the Windows installation to proceed.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Andreas123

Andreas123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomAlf View Post
Hey. This fix almost worked for me. I got rEFIx installaed, booted twice, and got the refit menu to work, no problems here.

My problem now i that i don't get the external dvd as an option to boot from. This i what i get:
1. Boot from MAC OS X from Macintosh HD
2. Boot legacy OS from HD

and then ofcause the 5 points underneath with shutdown, reboot, etc.

The externmal dvd drive showes perfectly when im in MAC OS, and works perfectly when i install MAC OS from it.

Any ideas why on earth i dont get the option to boot from the drive?
Same thing happened for me, only those two bootable options..

Quote:
what did you do to get the external drive as a bootable option? I can't find a way to get it at the startup-screen, you must have done something else that you don't describe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting from FAT32 to NTFS | My mac is avoiding Windows like the plague »