New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Booting Windows Installation Problem!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

themaddude

themaddude is on a distinguished road

Hey, my problem is this. I've been running Windows XP SP2 on a bootcamp partition for a good 2 months now, playing all my windows 3D games etc etc. When ive needed to use OSX i just pressed ALT at start and switched. Its now ive come across a problem which i dont understand, i turned on my mac one morning just like i would any other morning and booted up windows only when it started up it came to the "we appologize" etc etc screen and asked to run windows normal, safe mode and all that, ive tryed all these and all will start to load windows then go onto the dreaded BLUE screen and die basically.. ALSO i then thought well ill just repair the installation but now when i insert the SAME disk i used to install windows it just goes to a black screen with a little line flashing in top left corner..?? PLEASE HELP!!?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like something may have corrupted the partition. If you can't boot to XP with the installation CD to do a repair or you're not seeing the XP installer start, there's not a whole lot you can do.

I'm assuming the file system is NTFS? Can you read any of your Windows files\folders from OS X? Can you even "see" the Windows partition from
OS X?

Post back and let us know. We can go from there to figure something out.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
themaddude

Yes its NTFS and yeah i can see my partition, i would be able to back up data i need too i suppose like game save files but if i can get it back working it would be a heck of alot better because it means i would have to reinstall windows plus all the programs and games i had on my windows partition
QUOTE Thanks
janus zeal

janus zeal is on a distinguished road

I wonder if this has something to do with a Leopard OS update. I installed windows XP fine, then on another system 2 months later the same cd just gives me a flashing cursor before the installer boots.
QUOTE Thanks
themaddude

I found the reason for my problem but thanks anyway. The reason was id recently bought a 2gb stick of ram from PC world, now even tho windows didn't play up as soon as i put it in, ive took it out and now with just my original 1gb it works! Plus i tryed switching it so there was just the 2gb in the machine and still it wouldn't load. I have a feeling its because the pieces of ram are different speeds, one is 667mhz the other is 800mhz.. Plus i never saw any change in the speed of my mac either so def ram problem.
QUOTE Thanks
themaddude

P.S anyone reading this in my opinion DON'T buy a different speed ram to that of the original in your IMAC, if your IMAC is 667mhz then stick with that, if its 800mhz stick with that. To see your ram speed, goto About my mac from the apple symbol in top left corner
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is it better to play games on VMware running boot camp partition than boot camp? | bootcamp won't complete windows install »