New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Cadet

The Cadet is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Another potential pitfall is that within Windows, you can not access your Mac OS X partition without a 3rd party program like MacDrive.
Does this mean I can't share files between the two partitions? Like, say I have a file from a program I worked on in CrossOver, but now I'm moving to a real boot camp install, and would like that file on the windows OS because the application only works well in real windows. What can I do for that?

Also, what's a built-in optical disc drive?

Finally, I got this message when I attempted to partition earlier:

Quote:
The Disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.
No idea what it means. I don't know how to format it. Help please?

One more question-will the mac's built-in mic/webcam work with boot camp?

Last edited by The Cadet; 06-14-2009 at 02:47 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cadet View Post
Does this mean I can't share files between the two partitions?
Mac OS X can read NTFS partitions, but it can not write them. Conversely, Windows can not see HFS+ partitions. You can purchase a program like Paragon NTFS for Mac, which both allows you to read/write NTFS, and also read/write HFS+ within Windows.

Quote:
Like, say I have a file from a program I worked on in CrossOver, but now I'm moving to a real boot camp install, and would like that file on the windows OS because the application only works well in real windows. What can I do for that?
How about just installing the program in Windows from its installation disc?

Quote:
Also, what's a built-in optical disc drive?
The little slot that you put CDs and DVDs into.

Quote:
Finally, I got this message when I attempted to partition earlier:

No idea what it means. I don't know how to format it. Help please?

One more question-will the mac's built-in mic/webcam work with boot camp?
I suggest you do a search, this has been covered many, many times.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd View Post
I have a question about running paralles on my macbook.....

I am a student and I have to use WinSCP3. I know that this is a Windows program and I am prepared to run Windows on my Mac, but the class is a Photoshop Class...will I need Photoshop for Windows as well or will I be able use the Mac version of Photoshop while using Windows?

I hope this question makes sense ...
I would imagine that the Mac version is very similar, but you should probably ask your professor.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ybgi View Post
Hi I am running Windows Vista via Parallels on my MBP! How do I get Vista to recognize my webcame right now its saying I do not have any?
Make sure you install the drivers. This is the last step of Boot Camp installation. While running Windows, pop in your Leopard disc (or System Disc 1) and the drivers should begin installing automatically.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_west View Post
Hey, I've just bought a Mac Pro 8 core (early 09) and wanted to know if Windows xp sp3 32bit is able to utalise all 8 cores, and does it run smoothly?
Thanks!
Yes, and yes.

QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Mac OS X can read NTFS partitions, but it can not write them. Conversely, Windows can not see HFS+ partitions. You can purchase a program like Paragon NTFS for Mac, which both allows you to read/write NTFS, and also read/write HFS+ within Windows.

How about just installing the program in Windows from its installation disc?
It's a free app, so DL'ing it is no problem. But what worries me is my files. Although the solution of a flash drive just came to me... Feel kinda stupid.

Quote:
The little slot that you put CDs and DVDs into.
Derp.

Quote:
I suggest you do a search, this has been covered many, many times.
I will. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Okay, new problem. I have the windows OS as only an .iso file. What can I do to mount it with boot camp or otherwise?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Okay, new problem. I have the windows OS as only an .iso file. What can I do to mount it with boot camp or otherwise?
Boot Camp has very specific requirements of Windows. It must be a retail disc or a non-branded OEM "for System Builders" disc. If it's XP, it must have SP2 integrated.

Where did your ISO file come from?

QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Um... Yeaaaaah... So what now... I have the new partition on my hard drive and no good way to install my windows OS. What can I do to somehow install it on the other partition?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Where did your ISO file come from?
I think this is worth repeating.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Yeah. I'd rather not say. That in its own is probably explanatory.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Then you won't be getting any help from anyone here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Oh well. Thanks anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Oh well. Thanks anyways.
Reboot your machine, holding down the Option key. Boot from your Macintosh HD partition when prompted. Change your Startup Disk in System Preferences back to Macintosh HD. Then re-run the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition.

We don't permit discussion of illegal activity here, including pirating software.

QUOTE Thanks
The Cadet

Well, I got it to work. Windows is now installed. But I have the annoying problem that it won't connect to the internet for some reason. I have the feeling that I missed a step in the installation.

I looked at this and it tells me I should've burned a mac drivers CD. But I never was given the option. I'm kinda stumbling in the dark here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which do you prefer Windows or Linux? | OEM Verions of software »