New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lkoz91

lkoz91 is on a distinguished road

I'm completely new to all of this, I just wanna be able to get steam on my mac to start playing a bit of counterstrike again and maybe even get into guild wars. I have no idea how to do any of this and went to the link for darwine. Which one should I download? There's a power pc version, a x86 version, and a universal version that also says SDK. My computer specs are 10.4.11, 2 gb of ram, 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo. All the advice given on the subject would help tons being that I know nothing of all this. I would go with boot camp but I only have the windows xp installation disc with service pack 1.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

U need sp2 or use VMware fusion.
QUOTE Thanks
lkoz91

What does that mean? lol sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
reddelicious

reddelicious is on a distinguished road

it means if you want to use your current xp disc with sp1 you will need to buy vmware fusion and then run windows via the virtual machine. to run windows under bootcamp you must have xp w/sp2.
QUOTE Thanks
lkoz91

Would I be able to use a windows xp sp 1 installation disc then use an upgrade I got from microsoft with sp 2 on boot camp?
QUOTE Thanks
reddelicious

reddelicious is on a distinguished road

not with bootcamp
QUOTE Thanks
lkoz91

So what would be my best bet to get to play Guild Wars/Steam games? I have windows xp sp1 with a seperate cd to upgrade to sp2. I've got a macbook version 10.4.11 Any advice on the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoz91 View Post
So what would be my best bet to get to play Guild Wars/Steam games? I have windows xp sp1 with a seperate cd to upgrade to sp2. I've got a macbook version 10.4.11 Any advice on the cheapest/easiest way to go about doing this?
Boot Camp, but you'll need to slipstream the SP2 update into your XP disc.

Instructions here:

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lkoz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Boot Camp, but you'll need to slipstream the SP2 update into your XP disc.

Instructions here:

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
So I need a computer with windows on it to do that? Might just end up buying a newer version, I skimmed through the instructions and its pretty hard for me to follow.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoz91 View Post
So I need a computer with windows on it to do that? Might just end up buying a newer version, I skimmed through the instructions and its pretty hard for me to follow.
That's right. It's actually pretty straightforward, it walks you through step-by-step.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lkoz91

Has anyone ever heard of crossover? I tried the 7 day trial and it works well for steam. Any feedback about it would help.
QUOTE Thanks
zup

zup is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am a new Mac user. My mac is MBP 17", 2,5, 4GB of ram.
I need AutoCad for my work.
Installed Parallels with winxp and acad 2009 but had a lot of troubles with mouse and function keys.
Instaled xp in bootcamp. Acad work great now (both mouse and function keys), BUT I dont like to have two systems and boot every time I need Acad or take a break and go to OSX...

Ive read something that parallels or VMWare can run xp and applications from bootcamp XP, but I was unable to install VM from bootcamp even in VMWare even in Parallels.

I would like to do this, so I can do something quick (print or view files in acad) but not boot. I assume I will have troubles with mouse again in VMW or Parallels, but it is just for quick jobs. And dont want to have two xp+two acad installed, one in bootcamp one in parallels.

my bootcamp partition is ntfs formated.

Thankyouforyourhelp
Zup
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I'm about to make this leap of faith and put VMFusion on my iMac. I have purchased Vista and I have a couple of nagging questions.

1. Will Vista suck up my mac's resources to the degree that it will feel sluggish when the Vista window and MS programs are running?
2. I have a Lacie 1TB disc with plenty of room on it, and its using my firewire 800 connection. Should Vista be installed on the Lacie, and if so, is that difficult to set up? I only ask this because of my worry about viruses. And of course... would this make it sluggish?
3. I still have my "old" Shuttle PC running XP Pro, and I was wondering if its possible to simply move over the OS and the 2 or 3 programs to the Lacie drive. I ask this because of the resource issue (XP over Vista), but I know that MS will not support XP sometime in the future.

But as I understand this miracle (LOL), I will be able to open a XP/Vista window within the Mac desktop, and then run my Corel programs. Lets say I create some graphics and then export that graphic as a TIFF file which could then be used in my mac's photoshop? And yes... I hope to wean myself off of these windows programs and learn illustrator and a few others. I have already dumped MS Office for iWork '09 and I'm getting by just fine.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrafix View Post
I'm about to make this leap of faith and put VMFusion on my iMac. I have purchased Vista and I have a couple of nagging questions.

1. Will Vista suck up my mac's resources to the degree that it will feel sluggish when the Vista window and MS programs are running?
Yes. Your virtual machine will share resources with Mac OS X while it is running. When you turn it off, the resources will be released. If you have adequate memory for both OSes to run at the same time, it shouldn't make it sluggish. For example, OS X runs well in 1GB and Vista runs acceptably in 1GB. So, if you have 2GB, it should be fine.

Quote:
2. I have a Lacie 1TB disc with plenty of room on it, and its using my firewire 800 connection. Should Vista be installed on the Lacie, and if so, is that difficult to set up? I only ask this because of my worry about viruses. And of course... would this make it sluggish?
When you set up your VM, you'll create a virtual hard disk file. That file will grow as your storage demands increase. You can put the file anywhere you wish, but if you put it on an external, you may notice a degradation of performance. If you're going this for security purposes, your plan is misguided. The VM is completely sandboxed, so if you had a virus in a VM, it would be contained to the VM, unless you open up VMWare to allow the VM to see your Mac's drive/home folder, etc.

Frankly, I don't even run AV in my VMs. I just keep a backup copy of the hard disk file. If I were ever to become infected, recovery is as easy as shutting the VM down, deleting the existing hard disk file and replacing it with the backup. I'd be back up in seconds, malware free.

Quote:
3. I still have my "old" Shuttle PC running XP Pro, and I was wondering if its possible to simply move over the OS and the 2 or 3 programs to the Lacie drive. I ask this because of the resource issue (XP over Vista), but I know that MS will not support XP sometime in the future.
VMware has a tool that can virtualize an existing PC. I haven't tried it, but as I understand it, this is exactly what it's designed to do.

As far as XP's longevity, keep in mind that Vista was not particularly well-received. XP still has the greatest marketshare, so it will be a very long time before support is dropped.

Quote:
But as I understand this miracle (LOL), I will be able to open a XP/Vista window within the Mac desktop, and then run my Corel programs. Lets say I create some graphics and then export that graphic as a TIFF file which could then be used in my mac's photoshop? And yes... I hope to wean myself off of these windows programs and learn illustrator and a few others. I have already dumped MS Office for iWork '09 and I'm getting by just fine.
Yes and yes.

QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

OK... I can now say "AHA!" because I've learned some interesting things. I will most likely install the VM on the iMac's internal HDD. With 4GB of internal memory... I should be OK as I only plan on running windows when I absolutely need to.

Is windows going to nag me to use OE and IE? And should I even be concerned about service packs beyond SP2? Will I be able to drag files from the VM into the mac environment or will I have to do something else? Along that same line of thought, I have a second 1TB USB drive (NTFS) that is used to store mostly image and document files, but it also has a few backed up DVD files on it. I just bought an Airport Extreme and with the USB connection, I was hoping that I could access that drive from the VM or the Mac environment. Will I be able to? Probably not the right thread to ask that.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which do you prefer Windows or Linux? | OEM Verions of software »