New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IlliniGuy

IlliniGuy is on a distinguished road

It's and ESATA drive. Downside is it's already installed. Had a two month old Sony Laptop that got drenched and I could only recover a few components. Turned the HD into an external and figured I might get some use out of it yet in combination with Parrallels. It's loaded with Vista. I'd hate to have to buy Windows OS for the second time in two months.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniGuy View Post
It's and ESATA drive. Downside is it's already installed. Had a two month old Sony Laptop that got drenched and I could only recover a few components. Turned the HD into an external and figured I might get some use out of it yet in combination with Parrallels. It's loaded with Vista. I'd hate to have to buy Windows OS for the second time in two months.
That likely won't work. Your VAIO probably had an OEM version of Vista. When you run the existing installation of Vista on Parallels, it will need to reconfigure for a new hardware platform, thus forcing a product activation. It will very likely fail because OEM versions of Windows are limited to one activation.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
IlliniGuy

IlliniGuy is on a distinguished road

Yup, dead on. Looks like I'm just going to have to buy another license. Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
Paulix

Paulix is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm pretty much a novice with Mac but I would like to install Parallels Desktop 4.0. My question is this; I currently have a p.c on which I run Windows XP. Can I transfer this somehow into Parallels Desktop or do I need a separate XP installation disc? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulix View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm pretty much a novice with Mac but I would like to install Parallels Desktop 4.0. My question is this; I currently have a p.c on which I run Windows XP. Can I transfer this somehow into Parallels Desktop or do I need a separate XP installation disc? Thanks!
Well, it depends. There are some legal issues surrounding this as well as technical ones. If your current PC came with Windows preinstalled, then you are not legally allowed to port it over to another machine. If, however, you have a retail version of XP (i.e. you bought it in a shrink-wrapped package), you may then run it on another machine, providing that you retire the old machine. Parallels comes with a program called Transporter that will help you package your existing Windows machine into a virtual hard disk file and then bring it over wholesale to your Mac to run it on a virtual machine.

If all that sounds a little bit complicated, that's because it is. Your best bet would be to just pick up Parallels and an OEM copy of XP, which will run you around $100 and do a fresh install. This will also keep you from bringing any problems from your old PC over to your new Mac.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
skewzme

skewzme is on a distinguished road

One reason I went with a Mac is to avoid Virus's, but I'd really like to run XP.

A few questions:
1. How much risk am I taking to virus exposure by running Windows?
2. Do some methods of running XP offer more security against virus's than others?
3. Can a Mac Windows install get a virus through the internet if I limit my internet surfing to Mac OS only?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

1. Running Windows on a Mac is just like running Windows on a PC. So, your Windows installation is certainly susceptible to viruses.

2. Yes and no. If you run Windows in a virtual machine (i.e. Parallels or VMWare) and you give the virtual machine access to your Mac's hard drive, there is a potential for a virus to damage your Mac's files. Likewise, if you run Windows in Boot Camp and you've installed a driver that allows the Windows installation to access your Mac's partition, the same thing could potentially happen. In either case, this would require a very specific set of circumstances and is rather unlikely. In real world usage, any virus infections would be relatively confined to the Windows installation and not harm Mac OS X in the slightest.

3. No. Just as you can't run Windows software on Mac OS, you can't execute a Windows virus and have it effect OS X. While you could potentially download a virus, the virus would not be able to run in Mac OS X. With that said, you could potentially forward on a Windows virus to another Windows machine, but your Mac OS install would remain undamaged.

QUOTE Thanks
Mimie

Mimie is on a distinguished road

A really urgent question.
I've just finished installing windows xp sp2 on my mac and I want to connect to the internet using airport extreme but I have no connection whatsoever. What am I supposed to do?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimie View Post
A really urgent question.
I've just finished installing windows xp sp2 on my mac and I want to connect to the internet using airport extreme but I have no connection whatsoever. What am I supposed to do?
Did you insert your Leopard disc and allow the Boot Camp drivers to install?

QUOTE Thanks
Bassasasin

Bassasasin is on a distinguished road

GUID partitioning, BootCamp, XP.

LEARNING.. this is help here
backup everything first. Time machine is great..Have a USB/Kbd/Mouse

BOOTCAMP only works on GUID partitioning.
I ONLY found in Dos on the Early F8 repair option a XP disk.
Symptoms:: Bootcamp typically locks up saying to reformat in GUID. and you cant find the option. and ((Option) grayed out)
It will just not work if you have repartitioned to something else.. Note if its GUID or something else by pressing the blue (i) information on the hard drive in drive utility while the whole drive is selected
.Even Disk Utility wont work "no GUID selection".
TO fix that. With a XP system disk,, repartition the whole drive build by selecting F8 repair disk and type DISKPART in dos.. repartition. the whole drive.

Get back to
Back to OS X disk Restore from Time machine with a backup and using the OSX disk. (up on the Tabs)
After your Mac works again .In Boot Camp Partition to less than 32G for fat32. Windows. Partition to over 32 to NTSF.
Install windows ...

COMMAND KEY ON MAC boots from CD.
C from USB keyboard 101 type.. boots from CD.

Mouse button held forever from booting Mac machine .. ejects disk.

OSX CD disk has a tab to option which to boot from if needed.

GOOOD luck. . Write me if this helps..anyone.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
RJ111

RJ111 is on a distinguished road

Oops: Hoping I have the the correct forum this time?...

I've bootcamped and loaded Windows XP/Office 2007 and connected a Windows keyboard. I have not been able to figure out how to use keys like > and < when in ACCESS. Anyone out there ever experienced this and resolved the problem? Any help much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ111 View Post
Oops: Hoping I have the the correct forum this time?...

I've bootcamped and loaded Windows XP/Office 2007 and connected a Windows keyboard. I have not been able to figure out how to use keys like > and < when in ACCESS. Anyone out there ever experienced this and resolved the problem? Any help much appreciated.
Does this help?

Boot Camp: Apple keyboard mapping in Windows XP and Vista

QUOTE Thanks
RJ111

RJ111 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link - it was helpful but I haven't resolved my original issue.

I will keep searching.
QUOTE Thanks
WKMENT

WKMENT is on a distinguished road

Anyone know how to make a 2nd ntfs volume seen in vmware, whithtout copying it
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKMENT View Post
Anyone know how to make a 2nd ntfs volume seen in vmware, whithtout copying it
Shut down the VM (do not suspend it), go into its settings. Click on Hard Disks, click the + button. The rest should be self-explanatory.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which do you prefer Windows or Linux? | OEM Verions of software »