New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-lover View Post
hi guys
if i install window through VM, will it give experience of whole windows like in boot camp..
I think you're asking whether it will take up the whole screen. If so, then yes - it can be set to work that way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lolarennt

lolarennt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 27'' i5

Yes ,the sound is fine after apple updates on windows thanx!
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
lolarennt

lolarennt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 27'' i5

Hello, will I have any problem if I remove windows and run it again on my Mac? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Gravey

Gravey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display

Hey guys, I just installed XP on my MBP using boot camp. I've noticed that it seems somewhat laggy, especially when scrolling. Also, I'm wondering if there are any programs I can install to get functionality out of my touch pad that I do in OSX? Right now I have no right click and no swipe scroll. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey View Post
Hey guys, I just installed XP on my MBP using boot camp. I've noticed that it seems somewhat laggy, especially when scrolling. Also, I'm wondering if there are any programs I can install to get functionality out of my touch pad that I do in OSX? Right now I have no right click and no swipe scroll. Thanks!
You forgot to install the Boot Camp supplement for Windows. You should have either created a CD during Boot Camp setup or you can insert your OS X disc (while running Windows) to kick off the process.

This is the last step in installation. Once it's installed, be sure to run the Apple Software Update, which will be in your Start menu.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Gravey

Gravey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP|i7 2.66ghz|512mb GT330M|4gb DDR3|500gb 7200rpm SATA|HD Display

Ok, I was a little confused on that step. I checked my osx install disc before installing xp and attempted to download the support utilities from the internet but neither was working.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey View Post
Ok, I was a little confused on that step. I checked my osx install disc before installing xp and attempted to download the support utilities from the internet but neither was working.
If you didn't download the support package to burn the disc, that's OK. Just pop in your OS X disc (or System Disc 1) while running Windows. Open it from 'My Computer' and it should run the setup process. Once you get done, you just need to run the Apple Software Update to get it completely up-to-date.

QUOTE Thanks
abMAC

abMAC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 > 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR SDRAM > 256 GB SSD > AMD Radeon HD 6750 1 GB

Hi,

I recently converted to Mac, I'm still in the process of getting adapted which is taking a little more effort then anticipated.

I need to use AutoCAD with my already learnt skills, meaning I need to run it under windows, at this point I'm not sure which to go with boot camp or virtualization?

I thought it would be useful to run virtualization for instant access between the 2 OS, hence I tried Virtual Box 4.0.4 but have had serious performance issues due to incompatibility (15.4'' MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 8 GB RAM 256 SSD OSX 10.6.7) regardless of what I do the system freezes at the end of max 15-20 mins.

Sorry for the long read, I would appreciate any support if at all...
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

If you read the sticky from the beginning, you will see that Boot Camp is preferable if you need full acces to your graphics hardware. You didn't tell us what kind of Mac you are using but if it has a separate video adapter you will likely see a performance improvement for AutoCad in Boot Camp. You'll have to reinstall windows for this to work.

Virtual machines use a "virtual" graphics adapter (software) which is fine for productivity applications, surfing, watching DVDs, etc., but for heavy video editing or rendering packages, you will see performance issues under any virtual machine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
abMAC

Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 > 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR SDRAM > 256 GB SSD > AMD Radeon HD 6750 1 GB

Thnx for the prompt feedback, I'm using a 15.4'' MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8 GB SDRAM on 256 SSD with OS X 10.6.7.

I was hoping that my system would be sufficient enough to run Win 7 & AutoCAD under virtualization... I didn't know that the GPU was set a side and graphics controlled by virtual adapter... If that is the case I may have to consider boot camp, the only thing is the hassle of rebooting is a turn off.

much appreciated, cheers
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by abMAC View Post
Thnx for the prompt feedback, I'm using a 15.4'' MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8 GB SDRAM on 256 SSD with OS X 10.6.7.

I was hoping that my system would be sufficient enough to run Win 7 & AutoCAD under virtualization... I didn't know that the GPU was set a side and graphics controlled by virtual adapter... If that is the case I may have to consider boot camp, the only thing is the hassle of rebooting is a turn off.

much appreciated, cheers
I've seen demos of AutoCAD running well in virtualization. VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop both have 3D hardware acceleration, albeit with a layer of abstraction. Virtualbox I'm not as familiar with, but relative to VMWare (and even Parallels), it's an immature product. So, it doesn't surprise me that you're having some issues there.

That's not to say that VirtualBox is without merit, it's just not as refined of a product as Fusion or Parallels.

I guess my question is... why wouldn't you just run the Mac version of AutoCAD and call it a day?

QUOTE Thanks
abMAC

I'm going to tryout VMWare Fusion to see how well it goes, as for AutoCAD for Mac, well as exciting as it sounds there are some rough edges that need to be shaved... Especially for Windows users cut copy paste is second nature which doesn't play out in the Mac version, also the overal layout etc has gone under serious make over, I will definitely consider moving to the Mac version at some point, but its best to give it some time to mature maybe 2012 even 2013...

I'll let you all know how Fusion goes, and thank you for your support, this seems to be a very strong community that I'll be learning a lot from

One last thing I know this may have been covered, in VMWare Fusion which is the best way to go Win 7 32 bit or 64 bit.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
abMAC

Hi,

After reading several articles and threads I'e decided to go with Parallels Desktop 6, and it work very smoothly, I haven't had any of the problems which I encountered using Virtual Box, the installation of windows 7 was flawless and I can run AutoCAD to my satisfaction, that said I should point out that I have not run 3D modeling and rendering.

Thanks for those who pitched in, and I hope this helps others sharing the same issues.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
lekhraaj

lekhraaj is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1

nice one though who wants to install this windows....wth

bhaag bhaag DK BOSE
QUOTE Thanks
furryboots

furryboots is on a distinguished road

HI,
I read the entire thread hoping to see a solution for my current upgrade, as I am still running Tiger, but want to now use dictation software which needs Snow Leopard to run. Pity as everything works SO well currently.
My MacBook Pro (Intel core duo) has Windows XP under Parallels V2.5 to run software called Radar (medical analysis, heavy on charts and heavy searches of specialized encyclopaedias) which sadly is not available on Mac.

The challenge is that
* Radar contains ten years of heavy research data, and also it is a huge hassle to reinstall, as it includes multiple encyclopedias - takes for ever to install from all those DVDs.
* Parallels 2.5 is not usable on Snow Leopard.
* Parallels 6 is not usable on Tiger.

I am wondering if the following will work, and I can find nobody who can tell me at Parallels so far. Maybe someone here can help:

* Make bootable backup, test it and stash it as a fallback position (done)
* Uninstall Parallels 2.5 on Tiger. Do another backup, and have it mounted for upgrade:....Does this preserve the Windows/Radar folder, or does "uninstall" blow that all out of the water?
[I actually have a second lot of data in a second VM under Windows 2000 Professional as well, to be moved.]
Longterm research studies often outlast the supported software life however new at the start, so maintaining data wholeness and integrity can be a huge problem.]
* Upgrade to Snow Leopard with bootable backup mounted, this way:
* using the install DVD's Utility option to effectively erase/install,
(wiping my hard drive, starting with Snow Leopard install on a clean drive and then using its Setup Assistant to ensure the files I want get passed over.) I need any space I can recover as a side effect, too.
* Then install Parallels 6 and HOPE it "sees" the windowsXP/Radar folder and the windows 2000Pro/data one?

Is there any chance this will work?
If not, what is my best way to do this upgrade please?
[I have the relevant individual licensed software]

By the way - It is worth it to me to use Parallels. It really makes a world of difference. I spend all day cutting and pasting between Radar analyses and Apple Mail email consults, and Text edit, Pages, Aperture, etc. Parallels has been slick as a whistle for me. I so wish I did not need the upgrade, but I do. (Me= Lots of writing to do and no typing skill.)

I hope the length of email is forgiven for clarity reasons.
Namaste,
Irene
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to backup and restore Boot Camp partitions? | Need Some Help - Upgrade For Windows With XP Expiring Support »