New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisapowers16 View Post
Thank you so much! Everything is running beautifully. Ironically enough, my macbook is running windows at a higher "windows experience rating" than my desktop PC.

Another small question; I own the game THE SIMS 3, which can be installed on both windows and OS X. Will one system run it better than the other? Since both operating systems share the exact same computer specs, am I correct in assuming they should run the game the exact same way?
It will probably run fine either way, considering its requirements and the specs of your machine. I would just install it wherever its most convenient.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
showtek

showtek is on a distinguished road

ok, so i used Bootcamp on my imac... and i installed windows 7 ulti.

from there i was on my windows, and i found out how to switch from windows to mac. but now i am trying to switch from my mac side back to my windows,

i know there is keys i press down when restarting but i dont know when to hold those down... like right when it makes the turn on noise or what? and is there others ways to go back to the windows partition
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtek View Post
ok, so i used Bootcamp on my imac... and i installed windows 7 ulti.

from there i was on my windows, and i found out how to switch from windows to mac. but now i am trying to switch from my mac side back to my windows,

i know there is keys i press down when restarting but i dont know when to hold those down... like right when it makes the turn on noise or what? and is there others ways to go back to the windows partition
As soon as you turn on the machine and the screen turns gray, press and hold the option key to show the boot options menu.

You can also change the default startup volume in System Preferences => Startup Disk (under OS X), or in Windows under Control Panel => Boot Camp => Startup Disk tab.

I would recommend reading the manual for Boot Camp, as these items are addressed and it's important to understand exactly how it works:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boo...tall-setup.pdf

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
aChand90

aChand90 is on a distinguished road

Can I use a bootleg disc of Windows Vista to install it or do I have to buy it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A bootleg copy of Vista would be piracy. We do not allow discussion of Piracy here at Mac Forums. Purchase your Vista DVD. I would suggest Windows 7 over Vista. Get a System Builders version from New Egg and save some $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I bought Parallels but haven't installed it it yet. I have Little Snitch installed because I am paranoid from having so many issues with Windows machines in the past. I wanted to know who my iMac was talking to. So I did the dumb thing and had bought Vista Premium but never broke the seal. Going to see if I can swap/sell it for W7. I realize Windows would have it's own IP address if both OS's are running, but I wanted to know if Little Snitch will alert me when any Windows app is trying to talk to the net and whether I can control that in any way? I want to install Corel Draw 11 and Visio, and that's probably it. Too lazy to learn Illustrator and I haven't seen a Visio OSX knock off that I'd prefer. What are my options?

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
tushi

tushi is on a distinguished road

hi
i ahve installed windows xp vis VM WARE fusion.its working well but speed of macbook while browsing ,has gone down.any solution
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushi View Post
hi
i ahve installed windows xp vis VM WARE fusion.its working well but speed of macbook while browsing ,has gone down.any solution
Hard to say since you haven't given us the specs of your Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

In Fusion, you can allocate RAM between your virtual machine and your Mac OS. I would allocate 512-1GB to XP and make sure the rest is allocated to OSX. That should help.
QUOTE Thanks
mstfgrdn

mstfgrdn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for help and wisely writing.
QUOTE Thanks
mzimmers

mzimmers is on a distinguished road

Hi -

I read the first post in this thread, and tried to download Darwine from here:

Darwine - Download

But the link does nothing. Has Darwine activity been suspended?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jumanji

jumanji is on a distinguished road

Pls HELP me!

Re - Installed Mac OSX, got 10.5.8 now,
updated everything, made a partition, than when i get the screen with the
button "Start Installation" i press it and i get the message:
"The installer disk could not be found"
tried with 2 different windows - XP PRO SP2 and XP HOME SP2
the cds are inside of course...

Any suggestions?
thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Mac do you have? Are you using Bootcamp within OSX to make your partition for windows?
QUOTE Thanks
leosrock

leosrock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 15" 2.66 GHz Intel core i7, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HD drive @5200

I'm considering buying my first laptop, macbook pro 2.54 ghz i5, 4 gb ram, 5000 gb HD 7200 rpm. I need to add windows because I need to use IE to access, work on, and then save files using IE-based programs for work. (I tried accessing them on on safari and firefox, but they didn't work.) Which would be the better choice parallels, win 7, XP, bootcamp? I read something about WINE? I'm not very computer literate so what would be the better choice? (I do have a desk top PC which is currently running XP media center service pack 3, norton internet security and geswall.)
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

If you are just using office productivity applications (such as Internet Explorer) and not graphics intensive programs like heavy Windows games or CAD-CAM programs, video editing, etc. then a virtual machine environment would be simplest. You will still need to purchase a copy of Windows (either XP or Windows 7 would work, I would go with Win7). The virtual machine is created by software like Parallels, VMWare Fusion or Sun's VirtualBox. For a single user installation of Windows, VirtualBox will do it for you and the price is right - that one is free. The other two have more features including better video, but for the basics VirtualBox will do just fine. That's what I'd do.

The rest of this sticky and the other one should answer most of your questions.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which do you prefer Windows or Linux? | OEM Verions of software »