New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook Pro - New MBP.. 64 or 32 bit windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gavelcoy

gavelcoy is on a distinguished road

I want to play the orange box through steam on my MBP, so I'm going to install a version of windows xp through boot camp.

I heard that Apple finally got 64 bit drivers installed on the Apple install discs. Is this true? And should I even go 64 bit or stick with 32?

I'm thinking 64 bit so I can utilize the full amount of RAM in my computer and hardware might run the graphics a bit faster.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Stick with 32-bit. The drivers are more mature, which means fewer hardware issues compared to 64-bit, and you won't see any performance benefit with 64-bit if you just want to play games.

I can understand the desire to fully utilize the 4GB of RAM, but you'll be limited by the graphics card way before a lack of RAM becomes an issue. Plus, 3.3GB is plenty for games.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
gavelcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Stick with 32-bit. The drivers are more mature, which means fewer hardware issues compared to 64-bit, and you won't see any performance benefit with 64-bit if you just want to play games.

I can understand the desire to fully utilize the 4GB of RAM, but you'll be limited by the graphics card way before a lack of RAM becomes an issue. Plus, 3.3GB is plenty for games.
Stock is 2GB, haven't upgraded yet. So if 3.3 is from 4, would I be getting something like 1.3 from 2?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavelcoy View Post
Stock is 2GB, haven't upgraded yet. So if 3.3 is from 4, would I be getting something like 1.3 from 2?
There is no advantage to running 64-bit unless you have a need to address more than 3GB of RAM.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gavelcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
There is no advantage to running 64-bit unless you have a need to address more than 3GB of RAM.
Good to know, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavelcoy View Post
Haha, no, it doesn't work that way. The maximum addressable RAM by a 32-bit OS is 3.3GB. It's not a percentage thing, so if you had 2GB installed, you would be able to use all 2GB.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Actually guys... I run 32-bit on my laptop and 64-bit on my desktop(Vista)... There is no difference, the 64-bit runs quite a bit smoother actually and the drivers are indifferent. If it says 64-bit then it's for 64-bit, if it says 32-bit then it's for 32-bit. And when it comes to drivers, the main drivers you have to worry about are your video drivers, nVidia and ATi both make drivers labeled for 32-bit or 64-bit usage.

You might as well go with Vista, your Macbook will have no problem with it. Since it is Vista, go ahead and get the 64-bit, The Orange Box and Steam both run on it without a hitch. I think Steam runs better on Vista x64 than it did when I had my old PC with XP x86. Unless you are messing with these crappy applications made by some foreigner from a third world country in Visual Basic, you will have no problem with program compatibility.

And the overly obsessive Mac fans here will probably attempt to tell you how "bad" Vista is. They haven't a clue because they've probably never experienced it first hand. They'd prefer to get it the 'he said, she said' method.

My vote goes to 64-bit Vista...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp deleted... problems | Trying to find an old classic mac game. »