New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows - Boot Camp: Installing Windows WITHOUT disc drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexlane

alexlane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.3 - MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I everybody,

I'm trying to install Windows XP using Leopard's Boot Camp on my system, but the cd drive on my MacBook Pro is broken and doesn't read cds well.
BootCamp keeps telling me to insert the windows cd and when I insert the disc finder tells me that I inserted a blank cd.

So, having the cd unit unusable, I wonder if there's any way of installing Windows XP using an image of Windows XP install disc mounted into an external drive (I have an external FireWire HDD), or by any other ways.

TIA
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlane View Post
I everybody,

I'm trying to install Windows XP using Leopard's Boot Camp on my system, but the cd drive on my MacBook Pro is broken and doesn't read cds well.
BootCamp keeps telling me to insert the windows cd and when I insert the disc finder tells me that I inserted a blank cd.

So, having the cd unit unusable, I wonder if there's any way of installing Windows XP using an image of Windows XP install disc mounted into an external drive (I have an external FireWire HDD), or by any other ways.

TIA
I'd recommend a cheap, external USB CD-ROM drive. While it is possible to install Windows from a network drive, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and headache just using a CD.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
alexlane

alexlane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X 10.5.3 - MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Yeah, that's probably a good idea

I'll check for prices... even thou I just spent a lot of money replacing my MBP HDD...

Anyway, would it be possible to trick Boot Camp into thinking you have a bootable Windows inserted so it "prepares" the installation from somewhere else than an actual cd? just to know
QUOTE Thanks
unjosnav

unjosnav is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'd recommend a cheap, external USB CD-ROM drive. While it is possible to install Windows from a network drive, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and headache just using a CD.
some body knows the steeps to do it please ?
or how install windowx xp on bootcamp via network ?

thank a lot
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjosnav View Post
some body knows the steeps to do it please ?
or how install windowx xp on bootcamp via network ?

thank a lot
That's beyond the scope of this forum. There have been *books* published that get into the intracacies of such an install, and honestly, I don't believe it's even possible on a Mac.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
unjosnav

is there any way to install xp on bootcamp WITHOUT using dvd internal drive please ?

using external dvds, usb flash, network or another ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjosnav View Post
is there any way to install xp on bootcamp WITHOUT using dvd internal drive please ?

using external dvds, usb flash, network or another ?
Yes, you can use an external DVD drive. You just need to hold down the option key to select it during boot up.

QUOTE Thanks
unjosnav

Quote:
Yes, you can use an external DVD drive. You just need to hold down the option key to select it during boot up.
Not work like this, not on my computer.
why on boot can not show this new external drive.

i can see mounted on leopard when the leopard finish the start up, but not at the begining holding option key
what can i do please !
QUOTE Thanks
itech12

itech12 is on a distinguished road

This is a common problem for us, Air users as well, Using external drive here.
QUOTE Thanks
cevicker

cevicker is on a distinguished road

I've been having problems installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm using an external dvd drive or what. So I've partitioned my hard drive just fine, but when I try to boot up the Windows cd, it says "no bootable device found, press any key to continue" (or something along those lines). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've searched all over this as well as other forums about the no bootable device thing, and tried a bunch of options, but nothing has worked so far. so maybe it's becuase I have an external drive? I have no idea. But any help would be much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevicker View Post
I've been having problems installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm using an external dvd drive or what. So I've partitioned my hard drive just fine, but when I try to boot up the Windows cd, it says "no bootable device found, press any key to continue" (or something along those lines). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've searched all over this as well as other forums about the no bootable device thing, and tried a bunch of options, but nothing has worked so far. so maybe it's becuase I have an external drive? I have no idea. But any help would be much appreciated
OK, this begs the question... why not just use the internal drive?

QUOTE Thanks
cevicker

Quote:
OK, this begs the question... why not just use the internal drive?
well i guess i forgot to mention that my internal drive is not working, and i can't get it fixed yet. so i'm using this external drive in the meantime...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
well i guess i forgot to mention that my internal drive is not working, and i can't get it fixed yet. so i'm using this external drive in the meantime...
OK. You should be able to just hold the Option key down during startup (immediately after turning the machine on and when the screen first comes up). Assuming the disc is in the drive, it should eventually give you the option to boot from it (keep holding it until you see the selection appear).

QUOTE Thanks
cevicker

Quote:
OK. You should be able to just hold the Option key down during startup (immediately after turning the machine on and when the screen first comes up). Assuming the disc is in the drive, it should eventually give you the option to boot from it (keep holding it until you see the selection appear).
yeah, i've tried that... the cd is recognized as windows, but it still says "no bootable device"

really, i could get my internal fixed if that's the problem... but if it's something else, than i'd rather just leave my drive be for the meantime... (hah i hope that makes sense).
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
yeah, i've tried that... the cd is recognized as windows, but it still says "no bootable device"

really, i could get my internal fixed if that's the problem... but if it's something else, than i'd rather just leave my drive be for the meantime... (hah i hope that makes sense).
What kind of disc are you using? Note that it must be a retail copy or OEM for system builders (you can NOT use a system restore disc from another vendor like Dell, HP, Acer, etc).

I ask this because it sounds like the drive is being recognized just fine - it just doesn't see the disc as bootable.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth mouse on Bootcamp XP | Unable to repartition hard drives »