New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Linux - Ubuntu on iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rmartinez

rmartinez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac G5 Dul 2GHz Power PC,Running Mac OS 10.3.9

I want to give a try to Linux and would like run it through an emulator before going through the whole partitioning of my very small HD on my iBook G4. First I have an iBook G4 1.2Ghz PPC with 1.25Ghz of RAM an a 30g HD. As you may know the specs are pretty much maxed out, RAM is full and HD expansion on this iBooks is a pain in the PATOOT. So what I have is all I can get from my trusty Mac. The problem is that Ubuntu is not installing on the emulator. I'm trying Q and VirtualPC and none is going through with the installation. I've been scouring the web on forums and sites looking for instruction or anything that will give me a clue about why is not installing but to no avail. I know a little about computers but on this I don't have the knowledge to decipher what is wrong.
Here's an image of what comes up after creating the PC and doing all I know I'm supposed to do.

I have dowloded various version of Ubuntu and tried it With the .ISO and a bootable CD that I burned myself.

Can anybody Help?

Se les agradece:
RMV
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Are you trying the Intel x86 version of the Ubuntu distribution or the PPC version? If the latter, be aware that VirtualPC emulates an x86 machine, so you'll need that version.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you transfer program files? | What Windows Should I Buy? »