New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

complete newbie!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonbartlett

I have to confess i have no idea how macs work! I'm a PC user at heart. However i've been trying to help out a friend of mine who has an old mac (uses Mac os 8) and he needs a driver for his HP laserjet printer. Now i've been able to download a driver file from HP's website but have no idea what to do with it now. It originally came as a .hqx file, which i extracted to a .sit file, which then i extracted and got 2 files, one with an .rsrc extension and the other that doesn't appear to have an extension.
My problem now is what the hell do i do with these files in order to get his printer up and running? I can't seem to do anything with them whatsoever!!
If anyone out there would like to lower themselves to my idiot level and help me out i would be very thankful!

Cheers
Jon
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

well, thats quite a low level. lol! but I think the .rsrc is suppoosed to be a disk image type of thing, have you tried opening either of them? what do the icons look like?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

o, Im right, I think it is like a .dmg, try double clicking the .rsrc file and it should mount or something.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can try an drag and drop the icon on the system folder and see if it installs itself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Old-style Mac files have two components, a "data" fork, and a "resource" fork. NTFS and FAT (the PC file systems) can't track both together, so you get a file and the .rsrc, with the contents of the resource fork.

You'll need to unstuff the files on the Mac, where it'll preserve the single file. Then drop it into the System folder, and use the Chooser to set up the printer.
QUOTE Thanks
jonbartlett

Cheers so far everyone! I've unstuffed the original .hqx file on the mac and it has created a .sit file. Now when i try to do the same thing with this nothing happens! Not a thing! Do i need to unstuff this file as well, or is there something else i should be doing with it?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yup, unstuff the sit file too. what youu get from that should be a folder with an installer or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
jonbartlett

Sorted it all now folks! Thanks for your help! It seemed we needed a newer edition of stuffit expander! Once that was downloaded it all worked fine, and the printer is now up and running!

Cheers, your help was very much apprecaited! and i now know lots more about Macs (although i still prefer a good old PC!!!)

Thanks again!
Jon
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« avi and quicktime | do an half space in Quark Xpress »