New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp Hard Drive Partition Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jacian

Jacian is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the forms. I used bootcamp to install a 32GB (to retain the FAT32) partition on the drive. When, however, I reboot into the Windows XP Home installation screen, only one option appears in the drive selection and it's a 130GB hard drive. The total size of my drive is 250GB and the partition should be 32GB. Where does this come in? And also, there is no "BOOT CAMP" hard drive partition name like the manual says there should be. I've already tried using the bootcamp restore feature and repartitioning the drive in different sizes but Windows still says the same.

Any ideas?! Thanks all!

~joel
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacian View Post
Hello all,

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the forms. I used bootcamp to install a 32GB (to retain the FAT32) partition on the drive. When, however, I reboot into the Windows XP Home installation screen, only one option appears in the drive selection and it's a 130GB hard drive. The total size of my drive is 250GB and the partition should be 32GB. Where does this come in? And also, there is no "BOOT CAMP" hard drive partition name like the manual says there should be. I've already tried using the bootcamp restore feature and repartitioning the drive in different sizes but Windows still says the same.

Any ideas?! Thanks all!

~joel
Certainly is a weird one. Anyway, try restoring the HD back to OS X again by running the Boot Camp assistant and select restore. That will get you back to square one.

Next, instead of re-creating another Boot Camp partition, boot the machine with your install disk and run Disk Utilities direct from the DVD. Check and verify the hard drive and allow any errors to be corrected. After that, reboot normally and get back into OS X.

Create another partition for XP Home using the Boot Camp assistant and try installing XP again as per Boot Camp instructions.

By the way, I'm assuming you're using a single full install XP Home SP2 CD and not a Windows XP OEM restore CD or a branded OEM CD.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Jacian

Jacian is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I can try that, but keep in mind this thing is brand new. Would there really be hard drive problems on a two-day old Macbook? It's the Black 2.4 Ghz, 2GB ram, 250GB hard drive. Seems like it should work fine!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

~Joel
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacian View Post
Yeah, I can try that, but keep in mind this thing is brand new. Would there really be hard drive problems on a two-day old Macbook? It's the Black 2.4 Ghz, 2GB ram, 250GB hard drive. Seems like it should work fine!

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

~Joel
It does seem unlikely a brand new machine would have hard drive problems. However, it certainly won't do any harm to run the disk utility from your Leopard install disk. If you still run into difficulties after doing what I suggested, and you are sure you're following the Boot Camp instructions properly, it might be best to take the machine back and let an Apple tech look at it.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows update in parallel | PDA/Smartphone for Windows and Mac »