New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Step 3) Installing bootcamp drivers for Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BigMac2beefpaty

BigMac2beefpaty is on a distinguished road

Hi,

When I get to step 3 where you have to instal the drivers for windows using the OSX instal disc, the OSX instal disc is unusable. The disc wont auto run and when opening the disc manually, it shows empty contents with no setup.exe file.

Im pretty much stuck at this point and the computer now starts up and runs windows. I dont know how to switch back to Mac either.

I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2beefpaty View Post
Hi,

When I get to step 3 where you have to instal the drivers for windows using the OSX instal disc, the OSX instal disc is unusable. The disc wont auto run and when opening the disc manually, it shows empty contents with no setup.exe file.

Im pretty much stuck at this point and the computer now starts up and runs windows. I dont know how to switch back to Mac either.

I have no idea what to do now.

Thanks.
Are you sure you're using DISK 1 from your Leopard install set? Only DISK 1 contains the Boot Camp drivers and has an "autorun.inf" file. Even if you are using DISK 1 and by chance it won't autorun, you should be able to open the disk in Explorer and double click on setup.exe. Unless you install the drivers and Boot Camp control panel application, you will not be able to select OS X from within Windows. Also, without the drivers, things like video, sound, iSight, bluetooth, etc, will not work right when you're in Windows.

To start OS X, reboot the machine and hold down the option key. You'll see an icon for starting your Mac.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Bmode

Bmode is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB

To install the drivers on the Mac provided discs for Windoze, you must install them on the Windoze side, not in the Mac OS. Once you insert the Apple provided disc 1 on the Windoze side, a auto install should run and install the drivers for the boot camp options and control panel stuff.

The thing that gets me with this whole dual boot system, is that using parallels or a hard boot for windblowz, once the application hangs, and it will, you can't shut it down without a force quit. If you do a force quit, it ruins the windows start up sequence, and you'll get some sort of "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start", which is where I'm at with mine. This just stinks.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Bmode,

I had a similar problem - just remove your battery then reboot. Should clear the stalled programs.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
BigMac2beefpaty

BigMac2beefpaty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Are you sure you're using DISK 1 from your Leopard install set? Only DISK 1 contains the Boot Camp drivers and has an "autorun.inf" file. Even if you are using DISK 1 and by chance it won't autorun, you should be able to open the disk in Explorer and double click on setup.exe. Unless you install the drivers and Boot Camp control panel application, you will not be able to select OS X from within Windows. Also, without the drivers, things like video, sound, iSight, bluetooth, etc, will not work right when you're in Windows.

To start OS X, reboot the machine and hold down the option key. You'll see an icon for starting your Mac.

Regards.
Yes, iv tried both discs. Thanks i got OSX going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmode View Post
To install the drivers on the Mac provided discs for Windoze, you must install them on the Windoze side, not in the Mac OS. Once you insert the Apple provided disc 1 on the Windoze side, a auto install should run and install the drivers for the boot camp options and control panel stuff.

The thing that gets me with this whole dual boot system, is that using parallels or a hard boot for windblowz, once the application hangs, and it will, you can't shut it down without a force quit. If you do a force quit, it ruins the windows start up sequence, and you'll get some sort of "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start", which is where I'm at with mine. This just stinks.
Im doing it on the windows side. But when I insert the OS X disc 1 it doesnt auto run and opening the D drive shows it as empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
Bmode,

I had a similar problem - just remove your battery then reboot. Should clear the stalled programs.

Noel
Tried what you said but no cigar. Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If you look at the files on the Leopard disc while in OS X can you see autorun.inf file?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Botched boot camp install on mini | Pages »