New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.5 - Botched boot camp install on mini


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Avenger2SER

 
Avenger2SER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 25, 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 280
Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Avenger2SER is offline
I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,459
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger2SER View Post
I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.
Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

 
Avenger2SER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 25, 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 280
Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Avenger2SER is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.
I was afraid of that, oh well. Thanks

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

 
mrplow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 01, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,731
mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

mrplow is offline
Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Avenger2SER

 
Avenger2SER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 25, 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 280
Avenger2SER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz C2D (early 2008)

Avenger2SER is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.
I'll try that when I get home, thanks

MacBook Pro 2.4 C2D,4gb,320gb 7.2k,10.6 (Primary)
iMac G3 600, iBook G3 500, PBook G3 233, Atom WHS
16gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPhone 3Gs, TV1+2, iPad 32gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Question Regarding Installation of Windows XP | Step 3) Installing bootcamp drivers for Windows »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Boot Camp Beta! bogglewmn13 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 1 01-25-2008 02:47 AM
DIY: Trick out your Intel Mini kaidomac Apple Desktops 53 02-17-2007 02:40 AM
Parallels with Boot Camp Partition slowing computer down markw10 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 3 01-31-2007 10:26 PM
Apple to charge for final Boot Camp RNDdave Apple Rumors and Reports 12 01-23-2007 03:48 PM
Firmware, keyboard, and boot camp issues kuryis Apple Notebooks 0 01-15-2007 11:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?