Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/)
-   -   Botched boot camp install on mini (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/107805-botched-boot-camp-install-mini.html)

Avenger2SER 05-09-2008 10:04 AM

Botched boot camp install on mini

I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.

chscag 05-10-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenger2SER (Post 651608)
I was playing around with boot camp on my CD Mini a few months ago.

To make a long story short, the install failed because I stupidly put an XP SP1 disk in to install. Now every time I restart the machine (rarely since its my HTPC) it boots strait to a dos prompt telling me there's no OS installed.

This forces me to plug in a usb keyboard (my bluetooth one won't work), press option, and telling it to boot from Mac HD.

There's no Boot Camp partition anymore, so I don't know why this still comes up.

Any ideas? I'd hate to reinstall the OS for this, if I have to then I'll wait until I swap out the 160gb 5400rpm drive for a 250gb 7200rpm later this summer.

Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. :Oops: Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.

Avenger2SER 05-11-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 652407)
Looks like you might have to wait until this Summer. :Oops: Probably the only way you're going to get rid of that XP boot sector remaining on the drive is to use your Leopard disk and do a reinstall. If you have everything backed up with Time Machine or another utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, it wouldn't be that much work.

Regards.

I was afraid of that, oh well. Thanks

mrplow 05-11-2008 02:05 PM

Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.

Avenger2SER 05-12-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrplow (Post 652809)
Have you tried setting mac os x as the default startup in system preferences?

If that doesn't work please go to terminal and enter:
diskutil list <enter>

Post the results back here.

I'll try that when I get home, thanks