New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Girlfriends HP DV5000

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

srmorris2

srmorris2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD

So, got a story here and I think.. Well idk
My girlfriend has a HP Pavilion DV5000 notebook for about a year and a half. The problem is that she has gone through 3 hard drives in that time period. She does no major computer work just basic internet surfing and some torrent downloading. She has virus scan and spyware protection. She turns off the computer almost every night and I don't think its a heat issue. Im about to get into a fight with her dad about it and I am wondering if there could be any other ways that the other hardware in the computer could cause this to happen... Thank you for all your help!!!!1

Scuba

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Is she in the habit of carrying it around or subjecting it to G-forces while it's running?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

No, It is usually in her room.

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Would you happen to know the brand of the original and replacement hard drives?
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

I just left her house but I could try to find out tomorrow...

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmorris2 View Post
I just left her house but I could try to find out tomorrow...
Where I am going with this is I wonder if they were all the same brand drive. Unless she is getting very rough with the machine, I can not see that many drives dying in that short of a time. I bought a new Compaq/HP machine over 2 years ago now and take it with me (in a good padded Laptop case) on my network service calls and it's the original Hitachi drive that came with it. Same with my iBook g4 and I take that even more places. Drive is over 2.5 years old now and never an issue.

Let us know what you find out.
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

I can tell you it is mostly in her house and its not like she takes it and throws it around like a frisby. Is there any way that some of the equipment inside could cause this?

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If it's just sitting around most of the time, I would have to say that it is most likely some other piece of hardware that's causing the drives to short out. Possibly a poor electrical connection is leaking extra power to the drive, which would most certainly fry the drive's circuit board over time.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

THat is exactly what I was thinking vut everytime they just say it was some virus that fried the hard drive...

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

data on the drive can't fry it.

and my wife has one of those - an old one that i bought at least four years ago, she's even dropped it hard enough to really damage the front of the shell. and she lets it run out of power constantly. that machine is still on it's first 40Gb drive.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I would say that 3 drives failing is extremely rare. It must be some other hardware issue, as Kash mentioned. I would take it to HP and get it repaired or replaced. Even if the warranty expired, the problem is pre-existing, so you could argue that they are still obligated.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

So what would be some possible reasons that could cause these drives to cause problems

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

bad mobo - which is definitely within the realm of possibilities for hp.

bad fan - might overheat the drives just enough.

and there's got to be some sort of power distribution unit, might be that.

other than a bad fan - maybe even if it is a bad fan, a repair will likely be prohibitively expensive...

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Does she habitually use it on her bed? or on the couch? The DV5000 has a low tolerance for overheating, and running it for too long at a time on a soft surface, which will obstruct the air flow under and into the machine, will certainly cook a hard drive.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
eric

amen.

i had a zd8000 - the big 17" bad boy with full blown desktop pentium 4 proc in it. the thing had three airplane turbo prop sized fans underneath, i always ran it on a lapdesk and the thing still melted its dedicated (and sadly, soldered on) video card.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Leopard and XP | Please Help remotely control a linux machine from macbook pro »