Unusable Windows Partition
    Long story short: I have a partitioned hard disk on my Intel Mac, each of equal capacity. One partition has an operable Mac OS X on it, and the other is blank, having been occupied formerly by an operable Windows XP.

After several failed attempts at a reinstall, I had to manually delete Windows XP from the Windows partition.

When I attempt to install Windows XP now, and it gives me the option of selecting a place at which to install, it shows only the Mac partition - and, of course, when I click on this, it says that it cannot install there. It does not show the Windows partition as an option.

Why is this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph98053 View Post
    Long story short: I have a partitioned hard disk on my Intel Mac, each of equal capacity. One partition has an operable Mac OS X on it, and the other is blank, having been occupied formerly by an operable Windows XP.

After several failed attempts at a reinstall, I had to manually delete Windows XP from the Windows partition.

When I attempt to install Windows XP now, and it gives me the option of selecting a place at which to install, it shows only the Mac partition - and, of course, when I click on this, it says that it cannot install there. It does not show the Windows partition as an option.

Why is this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    How did you manually delete WinXP from the partition? Format? File\Folder deletion? Anyway, it should be easy enough to re-run the Boot Camp assistant, wipe out (remove) the WinXP partition and then re-create it again with Boot Camp.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    How did you manually delete WinXP from the partition? Format? File\Folder deletion? Anyway, it should be easy enough to re-run the Boot Camp assistant, wipe out (remove) the WinXP partition and then re-create it again with Boot Camp.

Regards.
    I could not actually delete the Windows partition from Disk Utility, all I could do was erase all of the data from it.

When I try to run Boot Camp Assistant, it says "This startup disk is not supported."

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph98053 View Post
    I could not actually delete the Windows partition from Disk Utility, all I could do was erase all of the data from it.

When I try to run Boot Camp Assistant, it says "This startup disk is not supported."
    OK, I understand. You ran the Disk Utility attempting to delete the Windows partition instead of using the Boot Camp assistant to do it. The Disk Utility will only erase it. The partition is still there but now has no descriptors.

Try booting from your recovery DVD and run Disk Utility from it. If you have no success at repairing the disk and removing the partition, you may have to reinstall OS X. Make sure you have a backup of all your data, documents, mail, and settings before you reinstall.

Regards.

Thread Information