New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

parallels & Fusion, after bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danomac

danomac is on a distinguished road

I installed Windows XP SP2 via bootcamp on my mac, is it okay to install Parallels or Fusion now after I made the partition for boot camp, and how would I go about it?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Just install them. They will recognize the boot camp partition and use it to create a VM. You can try either one as a free trial; I would encourage you to download both and try them.
QUOTE Thanks
John F

John F will become famous soon enough

How about installing Parallels on a machine with XP installed under Fusion?

John F
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I did not try that - others may have. But I believe that each VM requires its own copy of Windows, which is why I used Boot Camp to try them both (only required one Windows version to hit both), then after picking Fusion, deleted the Boot Camp partition and reinstalled the Windows version after installing my registered copy of Fusion. You could try using the same copy of XP under Parallels as you used for Fusion. It may well work but I have no idea if it would violate the EULA.
QUOTE Thanks
danomac

danomac is on a distinguished road

I installed both. first fusion but it ran very slow and seemed to slow my os x down and we can't have that. I then installed parallels and that worked ok although I did notice some a couple of things that I did not like. probably the biggest thing I didn't like was, and maybe theres a way to fix this, is that the right click doesn't work when I am using windows via parallels. another thing was I could not use windows via bootcamp ( just windows only) no parallels or fusion windows as a stand alone as if I was using just boot camp. can any one tell me if I was doing something wrong or if that the way it is?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Win XP on my MacBook | os 9.2.2 need help »