New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

External Hard Driv & Multiple OSes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tux08902

I volunteer my time for the Gentoo-Alt project, so I need to be able to use FreeBSD, Gentoo Linux, and other Unices other than OS X. I have Windows Vista dual-booting on my MacBook Pro. If I were to install Gentoo Linux on an external firewire hard drive, would I be able to boot from it on my MacBook Pro, without having to use additional tools like rEFIt? That's the biggest turn off, otherwise, I'd triple-boot directly on this MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux08902 View Post
I volunteer my time for the Gentoo-Alt project, so I need to be able to use FreeBSD, Gentoo Linux, and other Unices other than OS X. I have Windows Vista dual-booting on my MacBook Pro. If I were to install Gentoo Linux on an external firewire hard drive, would I be able to boot from it on my MacBook Pro, without having to use additional tools like rEFIt? That's the biggest turn off, otherwise, I'd triple-boot directly on this MacBook Pro.
Have you considered VMWare Fusion? I would recommend Parallels, but their VM toolkit for Unices is weak.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

I have Parallels installed, but I won't be able to use it as effectively until I get 4GB of RAM. Is what I detailed even possible? Can I even run Compiz or KDE 4 in Parallels with all the graphics turned up?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
I have Parallels installed, but I won't be able to use it as effectively until I get 4GB of RAM. Is what I detailed even possible? Can I even run Compiz or KDE 4 in Parallels with all the graphics turned up?
I haven't been able to get Beryl/Compiz to run in Parallels, but I understand that Fusion has better 3D support in some situations. The nice thing about running different Linux distros in VMs is that you don't have to fuss with bootloaders and make major modifications to your disk structure each time you need to make a change. I'll take that flexibility over eye candy any day.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

Thanks, I understand, but it would it even be possible to do what I said in the first post, you know booting from an external hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Macs from the PPC to current as far as I know, can boot from firewire external drives be them hard or optical, PPC ones cannot boot from USB however Intel ones can also.

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

Ok, that's good news. Can the firmware bootloader boot Linux from a firewire hard drive? I know that Linux can boot from anything, so on that side it's all fine. It's the Mac side I'm worried about.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Ok, that's good news. Can the firmware bootloader boot Linux from a firewire hard drive? I know that Linux can boot from anything, so on that side it's all fine. It's the Mac side I'm worried about.
I don't know if it can boot linux, but I'm sure it can boot off of usb external drives...

Try installing linux onto an external drive and booting it...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels/Win XP stuck | Fusion -> Reallocating HD Space »