New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP install + Leopard Boot Camp = blue screen error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pelican18TQA4

Pelican18TQA4 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to install Windows XP (SP2 and it's a full Home version disc) on my MacBook and I keep encountering blue screen errors during the install. I successfully create the Windows partition with Boot Camp and then Windows install begins. However, during the setup process, on the screen where it says "Windows Setup" in the upper-righthand corner and along the bottom it shows all the install files it's loading, it hangs and then eventually throws an error. There has been a different error each time I've tried to install. I've booted in OSX and then deleted the Windows partition through Boot Camp and then attempted the process from the beginning three separate times and each time I get an error during the initial install phase.

I've search the internet far and wide and the only problems seem to be encountered after the install completes. Anyone have any idea how to get this to work??
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

sounds like your XP disc is corrupted. That phase of the process has nothing to do with Bootcamp as far as I know, it's just the computer reading the disc. If you just purchased it, you may want to try exchanging it for a new copy.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Pelican18TQA4

Well I installed XP with Parallels without a problem. In fact, I wouldn't even be trying to install under Boot Camp if it weren't for a particular Windows program that doesn't play nice with Parallels (loses USB connection intermittently; only afflicts this one program for some reason).

Anyway around this?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican18TQA4 View Post
Well I installed XP with Parallels without a problem. In fact, I wouldn't even be trying to install under Boot Camp if it weren't for a particular Windows program that doesn't play nice with Parallels (loses USB connection intermittently; only afflicts this one program for some reason).

Anyway around this?
Is it a retail disc or OEM?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Pelican18TQA4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Is it a retail disc or OEM?
Full retail Home edition SP2.
QUOTE Thanks
lairdo

lairdo is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that copying the CD worked for me. In fact, I accidentally copied the CD to a DVD - so not sure if that helped the situation or not. I do know that some drives are cranky with CDs if they are DVD burners.

I had the same issue and it went away when I made a copy on the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless connection in Boot Camp | backing up an OS9 HDD »