New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Fusion -> Reallocating HD Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macearly

macearly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB

I did not want to jump the Bootcamp thread regarding this issue, so sorry for the redundancy!

I need to expand the Hard Disk in one of VM's in Fusion. I know it can be done as I found the article on VMWare Fusions website. My only problem is my own technical short comings. I do not understand what they are telling me to do. I do not understand OS X well enough to try it, nor I am comfortable enough with the tech talk to think I know what they are saying. If anyone has done this before and can explain it to me, that would be wonderful! Think of it as trying to teach a 3 year old to to tie their shoes... yeah, I know, but I am learning fairly quickly (with the help of this forum, thanks). But hey, I was smart enough to buy a Mac instead of a PC. Thats got to count for something!

Thanks in advance everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
macearly

Nothing? Somebody out there has to know something! I will keep up the search...
QUOTE Thanks
The Physicist

The Physicist is on a distinguished road

I've not done this personally, but since it is a Virtual Machine I wouldn't worry about messing up you Mac OSX system. It's not like on windoze where when repartioning you also mess with your 'active' system. Have a stab at it and see how it goes!
QUOTE Thanks
TopDog

TopDog has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook / Mac Mini

I've worked many years with VMware Workstation/Server and now Fusion, but have never found a way to increase an already existing viritual HD.

...you can add another harddrive though, that's very simple:

Shut down the VM, go to settings, add with the + button.

If you have space issues with the C: drive (I'm assuming you are viritualizing Windows), you can move temp folders and page file, that will move a couple of gig's to your new drive.

QUOTE Thanks
macearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
I've worked many years with VMware Workstation/Server and now Fusion, but have never found a way to increase an already existing viritual HD.

...you can add another harddrive though, that's very simple:

Shut down the VM, go to settings, add with the + button.

If you have space issues with the C: drive (I'm assuming you are viritualizing Windows), you can move temp folders and page file, that will move a couple of gig's to your new drive.
Fusions website tells you how to allocate more HDD space to an existing VM (unless I am reading it wrong, which is entirely possible). However, your method seems a bit easier. I will try that! Thanks for the direction.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Driv & Multiple OSes | Unusable Windows Partition »