New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

General Help for an IBM user

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rockford

Rockford is on a distinguished road

Our company recently purchased a used Mac with the Mac OS 9 system on it. It came with some printing equipment that we want to use to make negatives on.

The computer had the Panther Rip software on it, to use the printer.

We have been trying to use this system and keep running into walls.

First, we connected an ethernet cable to the system so we could transfer files to the system - but we can't even connect to the internet. The system tells us the Internet Setup Assistant isn't installed. Where or how does this get done?

We have called a few people in to look at the system, but as of yet, we have not been able to find anyone remotely knowledgeable with Macs.

I thought Macs were supposed to be easy to use? I feel I'm a very confident computer user, but this sytsem has totally humbled me!

Any input or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
Our company recently purchased a used Mac with the Mac OS 9 system on it.
What Mac did you purchase?
OS 9 is more or less dead in the water for an OS... Think along the lines of Windows 3.11 versus Windows 98... then you will see the comparison of OS 9 versus OS X.

I would first recommend getting something that can handle the latest version of OS X, since this is obviously for a business.
Telling us what kind of Mac you purchased will let us know if your machine can run OS X or not.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rockford

Rockford is on a distinguished road

The MAC that came with the system is a Power Macintosh 7600/120.

Thanks for the response.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

"The MAC (sic) that came with the system is a Power Macintosh 7600/120."

Then it won't be able to run OS X. What exactly was it purchased for again?
That is a very old machine.
I'm afraid that there won't be too much you can do with that Mac.
I hope you didn't pay too much for it, or that you could possibly return it.
You are going to want to look for something with at least a G4 processor running at 1Ghz or higher for any reliable business use.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If your going to make inhouse negitives of your own and not from outside files you my be able to use the machine. If thats the only software on it. Most likely the internet apps are not there anyway and would not connect at this stage, as the Mac world has moved on. To connect to ethernet you have to go throw a hub.And the ethernet drivers have to be present. But the machine could do lite graphics with a print rip,for comps etc. If you want to do state of the art stuff you need a new Mac as devilboy has said.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What version of Mac OS 9 are you running? If you are at anything less than 9.2.2 you might want to upgrade to 9.2.2.

You can try searching the Apple Support. You might be able to find some thing there.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing SP1 for Vista on Mac | Linux Recommendation »